American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a leading global insurance organization. AIG member companies provide a wide range of property casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement solutions and other financial services to customers in approximately 70 countries and jurisdictions. These diverse offerings include products and services that help businesses and individuals protect their assets, manage risks and provide for retirement security. AIG common stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
Get to know the business
As a global corporation, AIG navigates an ever-changing and complex legal and regulatory landscape spanning state, federal, and international lines. The Legal team is responsible for providing advice and counsel to our business and functional partners across the company. Our legal professionals help the company avoid legal exposure, facilitate business and ensure compliance with local laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where AIG operates. Company attorneys also complete innovative deals and help shape the development of cutting-edge insurance products and services.
About the role:
We have a unique opportunity in Legal, to be a strategic partner to AIG's Global Risk Consulting and Risk Engineering teams. The role will assume responsibility for a wide range of legal, regulatory and transactional services for the Risk Consulting and Risk Engineering groups and collaborate with business and functional leaders to manage complex legal issues.
What you need to know:
The Global Risk Consulting and Risk Engineering teams help AIG underwriters and AIG commercial insurance clients identify and mitigate losses, allowing for improved business resiliency. Their services include:
- Conducting on-site surveys to identify risk and recommend risk improvement strategies.
- Providing loss estimates and assessments and assisting clients in evaluating their property and casualty loss risks.
- Working in conjunction with underwriting, claims and client engagement teams to communicate suggested improvements that clients can make to help reduce their risk of loss and improve their underwriting profiles.
- Providing expert, in-house risk engineers and consultants to guide and develop effective industry-specific safety and risk management solutions.
- Offering web-based e-learning platforms addressing workplace safety, accident investigation, and various risk management topics to help meet training needs.
- Assisting with 24/7 emergency response, crisis management, and cost control via PIER (Pollution Incident and Environmental Response®).
As a strategic legal advisor to the Global Risk Consulting and Risk Engineering teams, the Assistant General Counsel will:
- Provide best-in-class legal advice and collaborate with colleagues that support underwriting, operations, finance, regulatory, reinsurance and tax areas to deliver integrated work products.
- Drive business forward by providing excellent legal support on commonly requested legal deliverables, such as global service and vendor agreements, marketing and training materials and non-disclosure agreements.
- Partner with the team on their vendor/business partner selection processes and draft, develop and update agreements with vendors and business partners.
- Work closely with the team to improve their end-to-end business processes by serving as a trusted partner in developing standard operating procedures and templates for core business documents.
- Support positive relationships with global regulators, including by interacting with regulators directly when required.
- Promote a culture of integrity, marked by awareness of risk and prudent risk management by encouraging the raising of potential issues or concerns, including compliance with AIG policies and procedures (i.e. antitrust, privacy, record retention), promoting ethical behaviors and practices, raising awareness about risks in certain practices, and fostering a culture of compliance with AIG governance and regulatory requirements.
- Encourage the seamless flow of information between stakeholders and partner with legal, regulatory, compliance and government affairs colleagues to share relevant legal research and learnings on pertinent matters.
- Position AIG as a thought leader by (1) providing thoughtful legal feedback on white papers and other forms of thought leadership/innovation and (2) fostering collaboration and the exchange of ideas among various groups at AIG.
What we are looking for:
- 5 years of legal drafting/transactional experience preferred, with exposure to insurance/regulatory compliance and data privacy matters a plus, but not essential.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and assignments in a fast-paced environment with a strong focus on teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with peers and internal clients across a global organization as well as independently.
- JD required; admission to a US state bar.
For positions based in New York City, the base salary range is $115,000.00 - $180,000.00. For positions based in Jersey City, the base salary range is $123,000.00 - $163,000.00. In addition, the position is eligible for a bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable incentive plan. In addition, we're proud to offer a range of competitive benefits, a summary of which can be viewed here: AIG Benefits Overview.
This job can only be located in the locations listed.
Veterans are encouraged to apply.
A look at our Benefits
We're proud to offer a range of employee benefits and resources that help you protect what matters most - your health care, savings, financial protection and wellbeing. We provide a variety of leaves for personal, health, family and military needs. For example, our "Giving Back" program allows you to take up to 16 hours a year to volunteer in your community. Our global mental health and wellness days off provide all colleagues with a paid day off to focus on their mental health and wellbeing.
We also believe in fostering our colleagues' development and offer a range of learning opportunities for colleagues to hone their professional skills to position themselves for the next steps of their careers. We have a tuition reimbursement program for eligible colleagues to enhance their education, skills, and knowledge in areas that relate to their current position or future positions to which they may transfer or progress.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates are committed to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and its policies and procedures reflect this commitment. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories such as sexual orientation. At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
To learn more please visit: https://www.aig.com/about-us/diversity-equity-and-inclusion
AIG is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants and employees with physical or mental disabilities. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to complete any part of the application or hiring process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No