Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Our core activities are safeguarding assets, lending money, making payments and accessing the capital markets on behalf of our clients.
Citi’s Mission and Value Propositionexplains what we do and Citi Leadership Standardsexplain how we do it. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients’ and the public’s trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve. Our Leadership Standards is a common set of skills and expected behaviors that illustrate how our employees should work every day to be successful and strengthens our ability to execute against our strategic priorities.
Diversity is a key business imperative and a source of strength at Citi. We serve clients from every walk of life, every background and every origin. Our goal is to have our workforce reflect this same diversity at all levels. Citi has made it a priority to foster a culture where the best people want to work, where individuals are promoted based on merit, where we value and demand respect for others and where opportunities to develop are widely available to all.
The attorney in this role will be supporting Consumer Servicing and Operations, primarily responsible for mortgage servicing legal operations items supporting the Citi business. The attorney will ensure that Citi’s mortgage servicing entities are in compliance with all applicable state licensing requirements; and for the maintenance of all such licenses. This maintenance includes oversight of all state examinations, which requires regular communication and negotiation with regulators, gathering information for and reviewing all deliverables, active participation in any onsite examination, handling/drafting of all examination report responses, and assisting the business in remediation of any examination findings.
The attorney will also provide legal support to the Document Services group of the mortgage business, including lien releases, title reconveyances, assignments, co-op documentation, and title curative matters and quiet title, including engagement of outside counsel when necessary.
This attorney will report to the Managing Director of the Consumer Servicing and Operations Team, and will be part of that team, working directly with business management and functional partners in the support of legal and regulatory change management, external regulatory exams, internal compliance reviews and audits.
- Qualified candidates will have significant experience in federal and state consumer credit laws and regulations, including Truth-in-Lending/Regulation Z, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act/Regulation X, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act/Regulation B, the Fair Credit Reporting Act/Regulation V, Electronic Funds Transfers/Regulation E, and UDAAP. This includes providing legal partnership and counsel in connection with the following functions and activities:
- Assist in maintaining mortgage servicing and related licenses (“licenses”) by preparing and filing applications and renewals as necessary;
- Work with members of the Business, functional partners, Officers, and Directors to assist with any licensing related items needed from the same to ensure licensing is properly maintained;
- Work with licensing regulators to address any questions and to cure any licensing deficiencies;
- Assist in addressing customer complaints received from states’ attorneys general and/or licensing regulators;
- Assist with document production and responses to regulators during licensing examinations;
- Ensure products, offerings, business plans/strategies, as well as any documentation produced as a result there of (from borrower communications to contracts) are compliant with applicable state and federal laws and regulations and internal policies and procedures;
- Provide assistance with Consumer Complaints, Document Services, Licensing Oversight / Management, Post Close, Release / Reconveyance, legacy title issues, State Laws and Licensing and State Regulatory Exams
- Advise senior management of operational, legal, regulatory and related risks within the organization and helping to devise practical solutions to reduce and mitigate any such risk
Candidate must have:
- A Juris Doctor degree
- A license in good standing to practice law in at least one state
- A preference of 7 years, but a minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience in financial services
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills