Description:Portage County is looking to hire a full-time Assistant Corporation Counsel to join their team!
Summary of Position:
This is a full-time position primarily tasked with handling cases and issues for the Portage County Health and Human Services Department (PCHHS) including, but not limited to, Child Support Agency, Mental Health, Guardianship, and Protective Placement matters and can include Children in Need of Protection and Services (CHIPS) and Termination of Parental Rights (TPRs) matters. This position is responsible for providing legal representation in these subject areas including investigation, filing, litigation and disposition from start to finish, enabling a continuity of legal services.
Additional duties of this position, as assigned by the corporation counsel, consist of performing backup for general corporation counsel functions, providing representation in court and administrative tribunals, advising department heads, county employees, the County Board, its standing committees, and county supervisors with respect to municipal legal matters, representing and providing legal advice to county agencies and departments including, but not limited to, the Child Support Agency, the Health and Human Services Department, the Planning & Zoning Department, and others as assigned.. The Office of the Corporation Counsel attorney will in turn provide support, oversight, and backup for this position. This position may also coordinate legal review and communicate with the general public and municipal officials, such as city, village, town, state and federal officials who may interact with Portage County officials and departments.
What Are the Minimum Qualifications?
- Juris Doctorate degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- Current membership in the State Bar of Wisconsin.
- Three years related legal experience preferred.
- Trial experience is preferred.
- Valid state driver's license and access to vehicle with insurance.
- Satisfactory completion of a thorough background check, including license check with Wisconsin State Bar.
- Any combination of education and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Portage County Offers an Awesome Benefit Package, Which Includes the Following;
- Vacation - available on day one!
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with a High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a PPO Co-pay plan)
- Health insurance starting at $19.15 a paycheck!
- Wellness incentive plan offered with health insurance enrollment! Earn up to $600 per year!
- Flexible spending account
- Dental insurance
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan - County contribution of 6.80%!
- Paid holidays
- Paid sick leave
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hrs/wk)
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hrs/wk)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) - paid by the County
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employe