Closing Date: 11th July, 2022
Description:The Consumer Protection Section, Antitrust Unit has an immediate opening for an experienced attorney to join a hardworking and creative team of professionals protecting competition in Colorado. This is a great opportunity for attorneys who are passionate about antitrust law and working on challenging matters in a range of industries. The Antitrust Unit investigates and enforces violations of the Colorado Antitrust Act, the Colorado Consumer Protection Act, and federal antitrust laws. In addition to joining an energetic team, this is a unique opportunity to work for a nationally-recognized leader in antitrust and consumer protection law—Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser.
Who We Are:
The Office of the Attorney General/Department of Law is the “People's Lawyer.” The Attorney General, Phil Weiser, was elected by the people of Colorado and is the State's chief lawyer and law enforcement official. Our vision for the Department of Law is: “Together, we serve Colorado and its people, advancing the rule of law, protecting our democracy and promoting justice for all.” Our core values and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, drive our actions and demonstrate our focus on being principled public servants who are innovative and better together.
Visit our website to learn more: https://coag.gov/.
Description of Job:What you will do:
The Antitrust Unit conducts investigations, both local and with other state and federal law enforcement agencies, under the antitrust and consumer protection statutes. Following an investigation, the Unit either works to resolve matters through settlement or brings enforcement actions in state and federal district courts. An Assistant Attorney General in the Antitrust Unit is expected to handle a caseload and to be able to independently conduct investigations and enforcement actions while supervising paralegals and staff. Although the Antitrust Unit seeks self-driven and motivated applicants, the individuals who will succeed in the position are team players and enjoy collaborating with their colleagues to achieve the best results for Colorado consumers.
There are more opportunities for Assistant Attorney General positions in the Consumer Protection Unit and across the Department of Law. This recruitment may be used to fill more than one Assistant Attorney General position in the Department of Law.
Salary Note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate's qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights:
What we are looking for:
At a Minimum, Applicants Must:
- Be admitted to the Colorado bar or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar and be in good standing at the time of application. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application before the first day of employment.
Ideal Candidates Will Have Some, or All, of the Following Skills and Attributes:
- Background in antitrust and consumer protection law, with ideally four or more years' experience in antitrust investigations and litigation;
- Strong complex litigation experience in both federal and state court and the ability to effectively handle all aspects of litigation;
- Experience in leading investigations;
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work on complex issues;
- Strong research and writing skills and a keen attention to detail;
- Ability to creatively solve problems through developing practical and imaginative solutions;
- Experience in negotiating settlements and working with opposing counsel;
- Ability to resiliently handle stress and demonstrate flexibility with changing circumstances;
- An effective and responsive communicator;
- Capable of independently managing a full workload;
- Goal-oriented and a self-starter who is comfortable working both independently and collaboratively; and
- Passionate and enthusiastic about having a career in antitrust and consumer protection law and working on behalf of Colorado consumers and agencies.
The Office of the Attorney General offers the opportunity to be involved in challenging, interesting and meaningful work. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide. We strongly encourage candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds to apply.
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- Effective September 20, 2021, employees will be required to attest to and verify whether or not they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated may be required to submit to serial testing in the future. Upon hire, new employees will have three (3) business days to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination. Vaccinated employees must provide proof of vaccination.
Note: Fully Vaccinated means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's Janssen vaccine, as defined by the most recent State of Colorado's Public Health Order and current guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment.
The Office of the Attorney General offers challenging, interesting, and meaningful work. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
This position is non-classified and is not subject to appeal rights.
Why Work For Us:
We Embrace Flexibility
We aim to produce outstanding work product for our clients, be efficient with our time, and support each other as team members – which also means we embrace flexible working arrangements when and where possible.
We Are Committed to DiversityAt the Department of Law, we know that we are better together when our differences are valued and everyone is inspired and empowered to contribute. As such, we strive to provide a safe environment where individuals feel valued and respected for who they are; demonstrate a behavior and mindset where differences are welcomed and individuals are equally treated and empowered to do their best work; and promote growth and innovation through a diverse workforce that contributes to creative problem solving and delivers excellent work.
We Have Strong Core Values
Our core values drive our actions. At the Department of Law, we are: 1) principled, maintaining the highest ethical standards, rigorous legal analysis, and careful evaluation of facts; 2) public servants, who are always ensuring our work is not about us, but instead is about the people of Colorado; 3) innovative, by seeking to identify the best approach, make deliberate decisions, and look to improve; and 4) "better together," by working to support each other and collaborate.
We are Committed to Developing our Attorneys:
We are deeply invested in our talent and regularly provide meaningful opportunities for personal and professional growth through training and coaching. Further, our professional development and performance goal setting process is collaborative and ongoing, and aimed at helping our attorneys grow and succeed.
We Offer Excellent Benefits:
In addition to the comprehensive State of Colorado benefits package including competitive medical and dental health plans, employer-paid life insurance, paid holidays, retirement plans with Colorado PERA, and vacation and sick leave earned each month, there are many other unique benefits that we offer, including:
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness: As a state government employee, you might be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. A borrower may qualify for forgiveness by making 120 on-time payments while employed full-time in public service, if they have certain kinds of federal loans in a qualifying repayment plan
- Free access to a recently renovated on-site fitness center
- Excellent work-life programs, such as flexible work schedules, professional development opportunities, and an employee discount program
- Employer-paid mental health and counseling services through Colorado State Employee Assistance Program
- Employer-paid annual attorney registration dues
- Employer-provided access to professional development training and CLE through PLI, Department of Law University and other entities.
How to Apply:
Applicants must establish an account with governmentjobs.com and complete the online applications including the Contact Information section. Applicants are not required to complete the Work Experience, Education, or Additional Information sections of the online application.
Applicants must provide 1) a cover letter detailing their interest in the position and their relevant experience; 2) a resume; 3) a writing sample, and 4) three professional references. Use the "Attachments" feature of the online application to add documents.
The Department of Law is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Coordinator, Julie Christopher at firstname.lastname@example.org.