We are seeking an exceptional leader who will join the global employment legal team to lead a team of amazing lawyers covering the AMER and LATAM regions to provide world-class employment law support to the human resources organization, the business, and other stakeholders across the AMER and LATAM regions. This position reports to the SVP & Associate General Counsel, Global Labor & Employment.
The successful candidate is a a natural and proven leader with a unique ability to bring people and process together - across time zones, languages, and complex business problems - and will lead strategy & execution for the AMER & LATAM employment region, while also being a key voice on the global employment legal leadership team. They will balance people leadership with business results, diligently working to build the trust of internal stakeholders and helping to propel Salesforce to 150,000 employees and beyond while never taking their eye off the goal of a happy, healthy and high-functioning team who are inspired and motivated by their leader and the mission of the global employment legal team.
- Lead a team of seven employment legal professionals located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, Indianapolis, and Toronto who support the AMER and LATAM regions and global partners.
- Create clarity and bring focus and direction to the most important priorities that will drive the biggest impact, mitigate the most significant risks, and deliver the greatest return on the investment of time and resources.
- Develop, inspire, retain and advance top and diverse talent, building a cohesive and high-functioning team that delivers outstanding results.
- Foster a “can do” positive spirit and keep the team motivated when faced with adversity, ambiguity, intractable problems, or unanticipated change.
- Have a proven track record of fostering a team culture based on trust, collaboration, mutual respect, shared understanding, and are someone who genuinely cares about the people you lead.
- Be a trusted legal partner and work collaboratively with relevant internal groups to navigate sensitive and wide-ranging issues from non-competition agreements, hiring and recruiting issues, discipline, investigations, wage and hour, leaves of absence, workplace accommodations, terminations, workforce restructuring activities, set up of new countries, investigate and respond to demand letters and administrative or governmental inquiries and related matters, and support the global employment legal team to do the same.
- Transform and scale the global employment legal team’s ability to support increased and overlapping M&A activity.
- Partner with various internal stakeholders to determine strategy and approach on company-strategic initiatives, employment-related policies, guidelines, and processes with an approach that balances pragmatism, risk, and compliance.
- Manage labor and employment litigation matters with in-house litigation counsel and derive data-driven insights from such litigation.
- Advise on executive agreements, compensation and equity treatment.
- Undergraduate and law degree
- 18+ years’ combined experience in law firm and/or in-house legal department, preferably in a leadership role as an employment lawyer in a multinational, U.S.-based technology company.
- Proven experience managing a high-performing team with operational excellence
- Excellent written/verbal communication and negotiation skills
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines, workflow, and team execution in a fast-based and demanding work environment
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with demanding internal clients
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Sense of humor!