At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, let’s talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
As a Senior Attorney, you will serve as a member of IBM’s Trust & Compliance team in the Legal and Regulatory Affairs department, with a focus on U.S. Federal compliance matters.
You will be responsible for supporting IBM’s business ethics and compliance program as applicable to our U.S. Federal business units, including Octo, a recently acquired IBM company, specializing in technical solutions for the U.S. Federal government.
As a key member of the IBM Trust & Compliance team, you will support our global compliance and control processes, adapted as needed to address specific risks presented in the U.S. Federal market. You will interact with senior leaders in Legal, Finance and the business, among others.
As a Trust and Compliance Attorney, you will be responsible for:
- Counseling on Federal anticorruption, antifraud, international trade, gifts and gratuities, and lobbying compliance.
- Developing and deploying integrity and other relevant training for employees and third parties with whom we interact.
- Preparing and managing annual integrity plans aligned to Federal contractor compliance undertakings.
- Analyzing and suggesting enhancements to controls, processes and policies that are integral to our compliance and control program.
- Advising on matters dealing with third parties engaged on federal programs, such as subcontractors and channel partners, including due diligence, control and compliance framework, and remediation actions.
- Keeping up to date on any new compliance developments in the federal space and publicizing that information to the relevant groups.
- Identifying and mitigating new and emerging risk factors in the U.S. Federal market.
- Experienced lawyer, with 4+ years of experience, either in-house, law firm or both
*Strongly preferred that this individual sit in the DC metro area
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- License to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction
- Strong working knowledge of key anticorruption/antifraud legislation, including: the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, False Claims Act, Procurement Integrity Act, and Anti-Kickback Act
- Knowledge of key Federal ethical rules and regulations, including: organizational conflicts of interest, post-employment restrictions (anti-revolving door), and restrictions on gifts and gratuities
- Strong communication and presentation skills
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience working in a compliance officer role at a U.S. Federal contractor or a subsidiary focused on U.S. Federal business
- Familiarity with the Professional Consulting and Information Technology businesses
- Familiarity with federal data security rules and regulations