Description:Through public affairs and advocacy efforts at the federal, state, and local levels, the Wireless Infrastructure Association (WIA) works to support the widespread deployment of wireless connectivity in every community. WIA represents the businesses and workers that develop, build, own and operate that nation's wireless infrastructure, including wireless infrastructure providers, carriers, and professional services firms that collectively own and operate more than 135,000 telecommunications facilities around the globe.
The State Government Affairs Counsel will be responsible for leading WIA's state advocacy efforts and acting as WIA's chief advocate in state capitals across the country. You will have the opportunity and autonomy to:
- Lead state policy development, strategy and analysis on issues affecting the wireless infrastructure industry.
- Develop and advocate for WIA's positions, including through testimony, before policymakers in state legislatures, Governors' offices, and state regulatory bodies.
- Identify, analyze, and conduct in-depth complex legal research on state policy issues.
Working as WIA's advocate in state capitals, you will leverage any existing contacts, cultivate new relationships, manage state lobbyists in multiple states, monitor legislative activity and rulemaking proceedings, and draft executive summaries for WIA leadership on any pertinent findings.? ?
Next-generation 5G networks—one hundred times faster than current networks—are already reshaping the global economy, ushering in a new era of connected devices, powering smart cities, and enabling autonomous vehicles, enhanced telemedicine, and advanced manufacturing. Providing a regulatory environment that enables WIA members to confidently invest in, innovate, and deploy the infrastructure that enables these things is your top priority. With the recent passing of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, WIA is working to ensure the $42.5 billion for broadband development is implemented in a positive way, aligned with our mission of supporting our members to deliver broadband access to all communities and hiring the workforce to get the job done; part of your portfolio will include advocating for the inclusion of wireless companies to have access to these funds.
- Monitor and analyze state legislative, regulatory, and executive initiatives related to wireless infrastructure.
- Prepare and present briefings and recommendations on state policy matters to WIA leadership and member companies.
- Develop specific state policy positions by collaborating with member committees and related industry coalitions.
- Draft proposed legislation, regulatory comments, position papers, issue briefs and support related communications efforts.
- Support all internal team members and departments following the association mission and values while promoting association culture.
- Represent the association's positions before state policy makers, industry members and the public.
- Works as part of the Government Affairs team and report to Senior Vice President, Government and Public Affairs.
- 3-5 years of legislative, advocacy, or policy related experience in telecommunications, preferably with knowledge of the wireless industry.
- Exceptional communication and analytical skills with the ability to write strategically in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to respond to legislative changes and political developments and develop alternative legislative approaches.
- Experience in project management, including organizing and managing a team of multiple people (internal and external).
- Licensed attorney is preferred.
- Results-oriented. Internal and external stakeholders respect you for your knowledge and abilities and find you both approachable and responsive.
- Persuasive. You are confident, engaging, and influential. People follow your lead.
- Collegial and Collaborative. You carry your weight as a team member, learning from others and contributing in equal measure.
- Politically astute. You are excited by policy and proudly call yourself a policy wonk. You are energized by different viewpoints and the give and take of the political process.
- Analytical. You have incisive analytical skills and the ability to make critical assessments. You can identify and frame problems and set priorities.
- Exceptional communicator. You are articulate. You have concise, accurate, and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Curious. You like learning new things and collecting and sharing information. You ask questions, listen, and learn.?
- Organized. You can effectively manage numerous individuals and companies and keep the train on track.
- Mission-driven. You get what matters to our members and what serves the mission.
- Comfortable with ambiguity. You are comfortable with shades of grey. You do not need a rulebook to solve a problem.
What's Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- You will be joining a team of strong, talented colleagues who are dedicated to our mission. Our colleagues are friendly, respectful of different perspectives, and supportive of each other both personally and professionally.
- This is a high-visibility role; you will interface with industry leaders and have the autonomy to be entrepreneurial and lead the charge.
- Work life balance – you will work hard, but there is a strong recognition of the need for balance and flexibility.
- The sky is the limit for your growth in this role. Supported by a team of state lobbyists, you will have the opportunity to lead and shape WIA's state advocacy program. We welcome creativity and innovation.
- We are the workforce leader in a rapidly growing industry. 5G and successive generations of broadband access will transform every industry of the U.S. economy. Our work is interesting and varied; the issues facing our industry are constantly changing and we are pioneers of innovative ideas.
- We offer competitive compensation and generous benefits that include vacation, sick, and bereavement leave; volunteer days; parking/Metro allowance; income security options; and health and wellness benefits that include an on-site gym facility.