The Staff/GAL Attorney is responsible for the prosecution of files to which CASA Kane County is appointed as Guardian ad Litem (GAL) in the 16th Judicial Circuit Abuse and Neglect Courtroom. He/she may also have to represent the GAL in related administrative matters as appropriate including but not limited to Administrative Appeals and Hearings. This is an entry level position with great opportunities for professional development and growth. Please include cover letter, current resume and writing sample.
History – Mission – Direction of the Organization
In 1977, a Seattle Superior Court Judge named David Soukup was concerned about trying to make decisions on behalf of abused and neglected children without enough information. He conceived the idea of appointing community volunteers to speak up for the best interests of these children in court. He made a request for volunteers, 50 citizens responded, and that was the start of the CASA movement.
Mission Statement: CASA Kane County is a nonprofit volunteer organization that advocates for the best interests of abused and neglected children within the Juvenile Court system.
CASA Kane County began in 1988 and is 35 years in existence with 20 staff members, 25 Board of Directors, 40 Chairman Advisory Panel members and 200 plus active CASA/GAL volunteers. As a Guardian ad Litem organization, we are appointed to 100% of all abuse/neglect cases in Kane County.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Appear in court on a daily basis representing Kane County CASA Guardians ad Litem for abused and neglected children
- Collaborate with CASA Kane County Staff in pursuit of its mission
- Preparation of motions, pleadings and other court documents in support of children we serve and CASA Kane County's mission
- Analysis of files and team collaboration in order to trouble shoot, problem solve and, where appropriate, bring matters into court to be addressed by a judge
- Work directly with Advocate Supervisors and Guardian ad Litem volunteers to achieve objectives and deliver positive outcomes for children in care in court
- Meet with Advocate Supervisors and Guardian ad Litem volunteers before and/or after court to discuss cases and prepare volunteers for court appearances
- Ensure timely delivery of CASA Kane County CASA/GAL Reports to the Court and all parties of record on the case
- Review all Department of Children and Family services' investigation packets in a timely manner and determine whether hearings will be requested
- Participate in appeal requests in Department of Children and Family Service administrative hearings for open investigations involving current minors in care
- Maintain complete legal case files as appropriate
- Keep all client and court information confidential. The cases should only be discussed in settings that provide for confidentiality and only with authorized individuals. This includes returning case files to the CASA office after the case is closed.
- Collaboratively and professionally work with other professionals involved in the case
- J.D. from an ABA Accredited Law School
- Illinois License to Practice Law in Good Standing
- Solid courtroom presence with the ability to work collaboratively with our courtroom partners while maintaining focus on CASA Kane County's Mission
- Commitment to the values of diversity and inclusion
- Integrity, honesty and ethical conduct
- Dedication and passion for CASA's mission
- Bi-Lingual in English and Spanish.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
Staff/GAL Attorney is expected to have daily transportation to attend court hearings, offsite meetings training events, etc. He/she will spend some time in the office that could involve intermittent physical activities including bending, reaching, sitting and walking during working hours.
Annual Budget for Organization: $3,000,000.00. Organization's financial resources: foundation and corporate grants, special events, interest income, endowment income and earnings, annual contributions and major gifts.
- Salary $60,000.00-$70,000.00, commensurate with experience
- All Government, Court and National Holidays Paid – approximately 15 days
- 10 paid vacation days after first year, plus six paid sick/personal days
- Hybrid Work Environment
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance Plan
- Retirement Plan (403b) three percent match by CASA
- Opportunities for continuing professional and personal development
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Attorney Malpractice/Professional Liability Insurance
Employee Classification Full-time, 40 Hours/Week, Salaried, Exempt