Closing Date: 4th February, 2023
Are you a licensed attorney with four years or more of experience looking for a challenge? Would you like to be an essential part of the criminal justice system for a multiple county area? Do you want to pass along your skills to the next generation and work to solve problems in your community?
DPA is looking for a zealous advocate manager to lead the Paducah Trial Services Office, serving Ballard, Carlisle, Fulton, Hickman, Livingston, and McCracken Counties.
Candidates must be able to provide management and direction to a team of lawyer advocates, a criminal defense investigator, an alternative sentencing worker, and administrative staff. The Staff Attorney Supervisor will maintain a caseload while ensuring that the office team is filing motions on behalf of clients, participating in plea negotiations, assisting clients in seeking treatment and other assistance as appropriate, and preparing cases for trial. DPA Trial Office leaders participate in departmental educational initiatives, stay current on all changes in the law, seek outreach in the local community, and maintain relationships with political and systemic stakeholders.
Kentucky DPA looks for individuals who have demonstrated a desire to help the underprivileged and often the most vulnerable in their communities. The ideal candidate exhibits exceptional organizational skills, is self- directed and is also comfortable working with their defense team which includes other attorneys, investigators, alternative sentencing workers, and legal office administrative staff. We seek persons who understand it is a privilege to represent our clients and that we do so on behalf of the people of Kentucky.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages day-to-day operations of the trial office and supervision of staff.
- Represents people not able to afford an attorney who the government has charged with criminal offenses in misdemeanor, juvenile, and felony cases vigorously, effectively, ethically, and with integrity.
- Duties are performed in the office, courtroom, and correctional settings.
- Travel is required.
- EDUCATION: See Special Requirements.
- EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, OR SKILLS: Must have four years experience as a licensed attorney in the practice of law.
- Substitute EDUCATION for EXPERIENCE: A Master of Laws degree (LL.M.) will substitute for one year of the required experience.
- Substitute EXPERIENCE for EDUCATION: NONE
- SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (AGE, LICENSURE, REGULATION, ETC.): Must be admitted to practice law and in good standing in the Commonwealth of Kentucky OR comply with Kentucky Supreme Court Rule (SCR) 2.111 (limited certification of admission to practice), SCR 2.112 (attorney participants in defender or legal services programs), SCR 2.117 (practice pending admission). Must maintain any required licensure(s), certification(s), or other credentials for the length of employment in this job classification. Employing agency is responsible for ensuring employee possesses and maintains required licensure(s), certification(s), or other credentials.