Closing Date: 1st September, 2023
Appalachian Mountain Advocates seeks a lawyer to join its staff. The lawyer will be part of a team of lawyers from Appalachian Mountain Advocates and its litigation partners and will help to develop and pursue a litigation strategy in which cases are designed to have broad impact. The lawyers’ cases will include suing polluters by bringing court actions pursuant to state and federal environmental statutes such as the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, NEPA, ESA and the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act through citizen suits, common law litigation, and when necessary, challenging federal and state regulatory authorities’ failure to enforce the law.
The successful applicant will handle a wide range of litigation primarily in West Virginia and Virginia, but also in neighboring states such as Pennsylvania and Kentucky. Our current docket focuses on (1) ensuring that existing coal mines are required to comply with environmental regulations and required to pay to clean up pollution for which they are responsible; (2) shifting Appalachia away from reliance on fossil fuels by participating in public utility regulation at the state level; (3) requiring older gas wells to be plugged to stop the leaking of methane and (4) challenging federal and state permits issued to natural gas pipelines.
We have offices in Lewisburg and Charleston, West Virginia, and Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Lead and support efforts in federal district and appellate courts, state courts, and administrative bodies
- Develop new cases in a strategic fashion; conduct factual investigations; develop legal theories; draft pleadings and briefs; participate in court proceedings and administrative hearings; and otherwise manage new and existing cases with the oversight of senior attorneys
- Collaborate in team problem-solving, litigation strategy development, and project management
- Manage relationships with outside co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners
- Experience as a judicial law clerk is preferred but not required.
- Admitted or willing to apply for admission to the West Virginia Bar or the Virginia Bar, depending on location
- Excellent legal research, writing, analytical, communication, and oral advocacy skills
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work with a team or independently
- 3Ls may apply.
- 2 to 5 years litigation experience is preferred, but not required (i.e. we will hire lawyers directly from law school, but would prefer candidates with some experience)
Compensation: DOE, includes a competitive benefits package
Start Date: Flexible. The successful applicant will start no later than fall 2023, but position is open now.