Description:At Perkins Coie, we look for self-motivated individuals, dedicated to providing value and superior service and who have a high degree of integrity and enthusiasm for their work. We have created a company culture based on collaboration, devotion to serving our clients, and mutual respect. Perkins Coie is committed to advancing diversity and inclusion (https://www.perkinscoie.com/en/about-us/firm/diversity/diversity-inclusion-overview.html) both within the firm and throughout our collective communities. Work with one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For (https://www.perkinscoie.com/en/news-insights/perkins-coie-ranks-on-the-fortune-2023-100-best-companies-to-work-for.html) and receive great health insurance, tuition reimbursement, and paid sabbaticals.
Serve as a member of the Professional Standards department, providing experienced legal discovery and information governance experience to the firm's internal discovery program. This position will manage compliance activities associated with the legal hold process and other programs and procedures. This position will include corporate research, document and information management, database management, and other duties requiring technical expertise, judgment, discretion, and attention to detail.
These essential functions are primary job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation.
- Prepare responses to firm discovery requests, subpoenas, and other internal discovery projects, including conducting data custodian interviews, managing and tracking data collections, and participating in and supervising document reviews and productions.
- Draft privilege logs.
- Work with the Information Technology and Information Governance departments to ensure proper collection of electronic documents and files. Draft memoranda or other documents memorializing in detail the processes used in collecting and producing client documents.
- Oversee electronic discovery and file reviews performed by internal discovery lawyers and other firm lawyers and business professionals associated with the firm's internal discovery program.
- Manage and maintain expertise in various discovery platforms and firm systems.
- Contribute to the improvement and efficiency of the firm's legal hold and internal discovery processes. Assist with the refinement of processes and protocols for locating, tracking, and gathering firm information for existing and future data locations/sources.
- Maintain a deep understanding of relevant laws, regulations, and industry best practices regarding electronic discovery.
- Perform legal research and prepare legal memoranda advising firm counsel, managers, and various firm committees relative to legal holds, records management, and information governance.
- Provide training on document preservation procedures and information governance requirements.
- Advise firm counsel of significant changes in information management technology.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Be present at work during regularly scheduled working hours and as needed in this position, consistent with the firm's attendance expectations.
Specific Skills Required
- Significant experience with Microsoft O365 software (Outlook, OneDrive, SharePoint, Teams, etc.), as well as common litigation support and data processing software tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex technical information in a manner that can be easily understood by individuals with varying levels of technological familiarity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a demonstrated ability to work positively and collaboratively with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Ability to work in a confidential manner, demonstrating a high level of integrity and professionalism at all times.
- Significant experience managing simultaneous projects and employing sound judgment in balancing priorities.
- Skilled at meeting strict deadlines under significant time constraints.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
Education and Experience:
- Requires a J.D. and 2-3 years of practice experience
- 2-3 years of eDiscovery or equivalent law firm/in-house legal department experience
- Bar admission in one or more applicable jurisdictions is required
- Strong working knowledge of relevant topics, legal issues, and the rules governing professional responsibility required
This position is eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, 401(k) plan, medical, dental, and vision insurance, accrued paid time off plan starting at 20 days annually, personal medical and parental leave, up to ten paid holidays, and family care benefits. More information regarding benefits and programs may be found here.
This position may be filled in the following location(s). The compensation depends on qualifications and experience.
Colorado compensation range: $111,190 to $173,630 annually
Washington State compensation range: $117,290 to $183,150 annually