Each year refugees and immigrants come to the United States to seek a better life and/or protection from persecution in their home country. To help them build their lives in the United States, IISTL offers pro-bono and low-bono legal services for these refugees and immigrants by providing competent and comprehensive immigration legal services.
IISTL operates a pro bono Afghan legal services contract and seeks to hire a Staff Attorney who will provide direct representation for Afghan parolees who entered the U.S. after July 29, 2021. This position will also provide fee-based legal services to immigrants and refugees from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Preparing and submitting immigration applications for the following:
- Family reunification petitions;
- Temporary Protected Status;
- Adjustment of Status;
- Special Immigrant Status for Afghans and Iraqis;
- Special Immigrant Juvenile Status;
- Waivers of inadmissibility; and
- Additional benefits such as employment authorization documents, travel documents, renewal of permanent resident cards, Certificates of Citizenship, and FOIAs;
- Making appropriate referrals to other service providers and relevant community partners;
- Representing clients before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Executive Office for Immigration Review, and the Board of Immigration Appeals, including attending immigration interviews, immigration court hearings, and Infopass appointments;
- Assisting in the development of grants or contract proposals and reporting;
- Conducting outreach, leading trainings, and participating in networking activities;
- Maintaining bar membership through continuing legal education; and
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned.
- Oversee the design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of the applicable programs, products and services.
- Strengthen operational capabilities through expanded use of technology, improved operational processes, and enhanced professional development.
- Act as an essential member of the management team. Act as an effective liaison between Leadership and staff. Keep Leadership appropriately apprised of operations and communicate any problems or issues in a timely manner. Seek to mitigate and resolve problems.
- Assist in maintaining and updating all departmental Policies and Procedures, as needed, but at least annually.
- Represent the organization publicly
- Where applicable, participate in fundraising planning, implementation, and evaluation, including resource requirements and identification of potential funding sources, and related grant-writing.
- Maintain sound business practices and prudently manage resources within the approved program/grant budgets and in accordance with current laws and regulations.
- Assist in the programmatic/grant budget development process, help vet and explain budget vs. actual variances both quantitatively and qualitatively, and perform programmatic financial forecasting to help ensure that all unobligated funds are expended prior to the grant's expiration date. Make budget modifications when necessary to achieve the program/grant's outcomes while remaining within budget.
- Manage grants in an effective manner to allow for timely and accurate reporting for each grant.
- Ensure that the applicable incurred costs meet the audit requirements for Federal awards and/or other applicable Funders' requirements.
- Assist with the recruitment, onboarding, training, and professional development of departmental staff.
- Organize workflows, set staff work goals, develop productivity standards, and appropriately delegate responsibilities to staff to achieve the overall organizational mission and program objectives.
- Prepare staff performance evaluations relative to the communicated performance objectives and provide appropriate feedback to each staff person in a constructive manner.
- Ensure that departmental staff timely comply with payroll labor reporting requirements and that labor allocations are appropriate.
- Contribute to an environment that fosters the organization's mission, teamwork, effective communication, responsiveness, service to the clients and service to the community.
- Ensure that the mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image.
- Assist in operationalizing the strategic plan.
- Ability to develop oneself through continuous learning, initiative, innovation, resourcefulness, and critical thinking.
- Ability to prioritize, effectively manage multiple projects concurrently, and take ownership of work.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team as necessary.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external customers.
- Must be meticulous, but able to maintain a balanced perspective in rapidly changing business circumstances.
- Ability to work productively in a multicultural environment and demonstrate respect for differences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including strong writing and demonstrated intercultural communication ability.
- High-level of proficiency in Outlook, MS Word, MS Access, MS Excel and database programs;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to approach and resolve problems in a detail and solution-oriented manner.
- Extremely detail-oriented.
- Must be able to deal with responsibility for a large caseload.
- Familiarity with various legal documents and criminal proceedings.
- Ability to build rapport with clients.
- Strong legal analysis, as well as written and oral advocacy.
- A demonstrated interest and passion for immigration law.
- Demonstrated support of IISTLs values by exhibiting respect for others, maintenance of confidential information and an appreciation of a multicultural workplace.
- Flexibility for occasional evening and community-based work required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree and Juris Doctorate
- Admittance to a State Bar
- Immigration law: 1 year (preferred)
The above statements describe the job's essential responsibilities and requirements. They are not an exhaustive list of the duties that may be assigned to job incumbents.
Candidates of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
IISTL mandates that all employees and volunteers have proof of current COVID vaccination and booster with allowances for disability and religious exemptions.