Closing Date: 15th August, 2022
Description:The Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy (DPA) is nationally recognized as a model state-wide public defender system with an exceptional training and education program. Our defense teams ensure the criminal justice process is fair, results are just, and individual liberties are protected.
We are seeking to hire an experienced staff attorney as part of a criminal defense team for a vacancy in the Bullitt Trial Office.
Kentucky DPA looks for individuals who have demonstrated a desire to help the most vulnerable in their communities. The ideal candidate has some criminal defense experience and exhibits exceptional planning and organizational skills, is self-directed and also comfortable working with their defense team which includes other attorneys, investigators, alternative sentencing workers and office administrative legal staff. We seek persons who understand it is a privilege to represent our clients and we do so on behalf of the people of Kentucky.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Represent criminal defendants in District Court cases vigorously, effectively, ethically, and with integrity.
- Conduct client interviews and maintain notes and records of pertinent case facts sufficient to provide proper client representation.
- Research legal issues and write clear, concise motions.
- Obtain knowledge of the case through discovery and investigation sufficient to provide advice to clients regarding disposition.
- Develop a theory of the case that is consistent with the facts and the law.
- Willing to try appropriate cases.
- Duties are performed primarily in both office and courtroom settings.
- Travel is required.
- Education: See Special Requirements.
- Experience, Training, Or Skills: Must have one year of experience as a licensed attorney in the practice of law.
- Substitute Education for Experience: A Master of Laws degree (LL.M.) will substitute for the one year required experience.
- Substitute Experience for Education: None
Special Requirements (Age, Licensure, Regulation, Etc.): Must be admitted to practice law and in good standing in the Commonwealth of Kentucky or comply with SCR 2.111 Limited certification of admission to practice or SCR 2.112 Attorney participants in defender or legal services programs. Must maintain any required licensure(s), certification(s), or other credentials for the length of employment in this classification. Employing agency is responsible for ensuring employee possesses and maintains required licensure(s), certification(s) or other credentials.
Working Conditions - Duties are performed primarily in both office and courtroom settings. Travel is required.
Probationary Period - This job has an initial and promotional probationary period of 6 months, except as provided in KRS 18A.111.