About the job
- Wills, Estates and Trusts 1+ year preferred; or
- General Civil Litigation 1+ year strongly preferred
- License: Active member of the California State Bar (Required)
- Language: Spanish fluency, bilingual and biliterate (Required), and English
Salary commensurate with years of experience and degrees ($80,000 - $82,500 range)
- Health & Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Union Membership
- Life Insurance
- Social Security Appeals, 0+ years (Will Provide Training)
- Immigration law – Citizenship and Naturalization, 0+years (Will Provide Training)
About the Organization
La Raza Centro Legal, San Francisco is a non-profit community legal aid office that provides legal representation and counsel to low-income community members and immigrants in San Francisco, San Mateo County, and the Bay Area region. We assist those in need with free legal services in Immigration law, Elder and Disability law including general civil rights matters, and Workers’ Rights.
The Staff Attorney will represent clients on a variety of affirmative immigration matters with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), primarily Citizenship applications, Disability Waivers for the Citizenship interview and exam; and Lawful Permanent Residency Renewals. The position also includes some education, outreach, and legal consultation work regarding current evolving law topics on citizenship and naturalization law, as well as on other topics germane to Elder and Disability Law. The staff attorney will engage in work pertaining to estate planning and will draft power of attorney documents, wills, trusts and testamentary documents. The attorney will represent clients in Social Security Administration benefits appeals and disability claims appeals; and will represent clients in Superior Court in general consumer matters. The staff attorney will work in a collaborative and trauma-informed environment and strive for the provision of excellent legal services. This is a full-time, exempt position. This position will report to the attorney Legal Director of the Elder and Disability Law Department.
- Provide consultations to clients and consultees concerning areas of law pertaining to the Elder Law/Disability Law department.
- Comply with policies, procedures, and best practices including entering data into our case management software (eCerenade/eImmigration), and SF City and County reporting platforms; execute contracts with clients, and file applications in a timely manner.
- Compile client data for reporting requirements.
- Participate in regular peer review meetings and attend legal trainings as needed.
- Participate in other team and agency meetings.
Education and Experience
- J.D. or LL.M
- Prior experience in Wills, Estates and Trusts and/or alternatively, in General Civil Litigation is required.
- Prior experience in Immigration Law or Social Security Appellate law a plus
Qualifications- Skills, Knowledge
- Bilingual – English and Spanish fluency (required)
- Current California Bar Membership in good standing.
- Excellent Outlook and Microsoft Office skills.
- Excellent organizational and interviewing skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Commitment to serving immigrants and sensitivity to the needs of low-income, vulnerable clients.
- Experience working with eCerenade/eImmigration or other legal case management software.
- Strong verbal communication and expert writing skills
- Experience working with elderly and/or disabled
- Strong commitment to social justice
- Must be a team player, self-starter, and have positive attitude.