Closing Date: 23rd December, 2022
Description:Part of the Solution (POTS) is a 'one-stop shop' helping low-income individuals and families move from crisis to stability and, ultimately, self-sufficiency. POTS helps more than 35,000 people annually. Current services include the Community Dining Room; Emergency Food Pantry; shower and mail facilities; barbershop; case management; Legal Clinic; workforce development and an intensive case management/ mentoring program for a select group of families. POTS also holds a variety of seasonal distributions for items such as back-to-school supplies, Thanksgiving turkeys and holiday gifts, and is host to a medical and dental clinic.
About the Position:
The Staff Attorney will provide legal and general advocacy services for POTS clients along with the Long-term Stability Services team of attorneys, legal advocates, social workers, case managers, and interns. S/he/they will participate directly in regular intake and evaluation of client needs, advocacy on behalf of clients in housing and public benefits, and make appropriate referrals to clients with additional needs.
Housing Law: Provide advice, counsel, and direct representation to clients in civil proceedings primarily in NYC Housing Court and in administrative proceedings. In conjunction with this work, conduct informal advocacy with city agencies and private charitable organizations to obtain rent arrears assistance in non-payment proceedings.
Public Benefits Law: Advocate for POTS' clients to access NYC Public Assistance, SNAP, and Medicaid. In some cases, represent clients at administrative hearings and in other appeals processes.
General Legal Advice and Referrals: Work in collaboration with POTS' case managers, other staff members, and volunteers to address the needs of the whole person. Connect POTS' clients to various outside providers for cases/issues that cannot be handled directly at POTS.
- Committed to POTS' vision of moving clients from crisis to stability and, ultimately, sufficiency
- Professional proficiency in Spanish
- JD and admission to the practice of law in New York State
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good judgment and excellent organizational skills with an emphasis on attention to detail
- Hard-working and results-oriented with the ability to work on a team
- Experience in representation of tenants in NYC Housing Court
- Experience with legal issues pertaining to Section 8, and public housing
- Experience with public assistance, SNAP, and other public benefit legal issues