Description:Primary Function of Position:
As a Senior Intellectual Property Attorney, you will manage and protect the company's intellectual property assets, oversee outside counsel and foreign associates, advise business and project teams on intellectual property matters. You will also support transactional, business development, and assertion activities as appropriate.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Collaborating closely with engineers and others in the company to protect the company's intellectual property.
- Leading invention identification meetings, reviewing invention disclosures for decisions on IP actions, and directing invention disclosure meetings.
- Managing a substantial invention and international patent portfolio in designated technology areas.
- Overseeing and instructing outside counsel and foreign associates, including substantive spot-drafting and reviews.
- Counseling the company on patent and trade secret matters.
- Advising the company on other IP matters, such as those related to copyrights, open source software, trademarks, designs, etc.
- Developing plans for prioritizing and executing project plans.
- Managing resources and constraints to achieve business unit and legal organization goals.
- Supporting IP due diligence, transactional, licensing, and litigation activities as needed.
- Leading and supporting special projects as needed, such as: reviewing or revamping the company's inventor remuneration programs, developing or maintaining agreements, supporting IP infrastructure development or improvement, etc.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Juris Doctorate. Registered with the USPTO. Member of the California bar or eligible to be Registered In-House Counsel (RIHC).
- At least 10 years of experience in patent preparation and prosecution, including working with PCT and non-U.S. jurisdictions.
- At least 3 years of in-house experience in portfolio development and counseling.
- Strong engineering background (mechanical engineering, data science, or electrical engineering preferred, hands-on engineering experience preferred), ideally with ability to visualize and understand complex mechanical assemblies.
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams to successfully complete significant long-term projects.
- Self-starter with strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Able to accurately prioritize and multi-task to complete projects smoothly and on-time.
- Excellent organizational skills, time-management ability, attention to detail, and drive.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to foster a collaborative culture and thrive in a team environment.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.