Closing Date: 3rd February, 2023
The Special Counsel is responsible for providing general legal counsel and guidance to the Virgin Islands Housing Finance Authority’s (VIHFA’s) Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) Program. This is a Territorial position.
- Provides legal advice and direction to the Executive Director, Chief Disaster Recovery Officer, and CDBG-DR Staff, as necessary, in the routine performance of duties.
- Serves as the primary resource on the interpretation of laws, rulings, regulations, and policies in administering the CDBG-DR program. Provides advice and/or seeks the counsel of experts who can provide legal and/or technical assistance on matters affecting the CDBG-DR Program.
- Negotiate, draft, and review the CDBG-DR program contracts and participate in resolving disputes.
- Prepares and/or reviews legal documents necessary for the operation of the CDBG-DR Program. Reviews and approves the contents and effect of all program documentation, contracts and memoranda of understanding (MOUs) and takes steps to ensure that documents are properly executed and registered in public records when appropriate.
- Attends VIHFA Board of Directors meetings and provides legal advice to the Board of Directors relative to matters of CDBG-DR. Reviews all legal documents or instruments to be presented to the Board for adoption or execution for legal sufficiency and consistency with policy guidelines. Assists with the preparation, review and presentation of reports to the Board other appropriate agencies or individuals.
- Develops strategy, arguments, and testimony in preparation for presentation of cases and represents the CDBG-DR Program in any legal matters in court and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government. Gathers evidence in civil and other cases to formulate defense or to initiate legal action, determines the appropriate action to be taken to initiate or respond to legal proceedings and as appropriate, consult and reviews with the Director of CDBG-DR.
- Reviews pending and new legislation and regulations affecting the CDBG-DR Program and assess the impact. Advises the Chief Disaster Recovery Officer on monitoring and audit findings and recommends action as appropriate.
- Consults with the Chief Disaster Recovery Officer in determining legal strategies as needed.
- Maintains all legal records, closing documents, legal instruments, board minutes, and transcripts relating to the CDBG-DR Program.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chief Disaster Recovery Officer.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Education: Graduation from an accredited law school with a JD degree. Must be licensed to practice law in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Will be required to provide certification of admission to the Bar of the Virgin Islands.
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience in the practice of law. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
- Knowledge: Knowledge and understanding of the principles and practices of Virgin Islands law; A working knowledge of regulations governing the CDBG-DR Program; Previous grant writing and grant administration experience; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all persons contacted in the course of performing duties; Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents; Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints; Ability to write speeches and articles using original and innovative techniques or style; Ability to work with highly sensitive and confidential information; Computer literate to include Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and analytical abilities; Good oral and written communication skills; Ability to be flexible and work under pressure; Ability to work harmoniously with other agencies; Ability to take initiative, work independently and utilize creative sills to resolve issues; Thorough knowledge of territorial and federal personnel laws, rules and procedures; A Valid Virgin Islands Driver’s License.
Salary: $90,000 - $115,000 per annum depending upon qualifications.
CDBG-DR grant funded position.
Application Instructions and Procedures:
Interested applicants must submit an application, cover letter, and resume/vitae. During the Safer at Home period, application packages will only be accepted electronically. Signed original documents will be accepted at our Office at a later date. Employment applications can be downloaded from our website at www.vihfa.gov.
Deadline for application submittal is Friday, February 3, 2023; however, this position will remain open until filled. Incomplete application packages will not be considered. Selected candidates will be contacted for interview.
The Virgin Islands Housing Finance Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer