The world isn't standing still, and neither is Allstate. We're moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers' evolving needs. That's why now is an exciting time to join our team. You'll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You'll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life's uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we've thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever's coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We've been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don't follow the trends. We set them.
The Litigation Services Attorney job family is responsible for managing Insurance Defense and Tort Litigation / Disputes work and related issues/matters
Represents insured and the Company in the defense of bodily injury and property damage lawsuits, subrogation, and Allstate Financial cases. Prepares for and conducts hearings, trials, arbitrations, mediations, and depositions. Prepares and argues pre and post-trial motions. Assists colleagues in the resolution of calendar conflicts. Provides counsel to business clients on day to day issues. Provides project management, coordination, and collaboration between legal teams. Monitors and reviews new laws, regulations, and case law; identifies and summarizes relevant issues; collaborates with other areas of L&R department; proactively provides advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business; monitors counsel
- Juris Doctorate degree and member in good standing of New York State Bar
- 3-5 years Insurance Defense, Subrogation and/or Personal Injury litigation experience
- Trial and/or Arbitration experience is preferred, with flexibility to work across several disciplines that may include SIU, PIP, UM and Subrogation.
- No Fault and/or SIU experience is a plus,
- Computer skills required; experience with Microsoft Office, Lexis, and the internet
- Ability to work well with others on a team of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by an attorney Lead Counsel
- Must be able to handle a large caseload
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills are key to working with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, collaborating with others, etc. Will work independently as well as part of a cohesive team.
- Ability to travel
- Periodically lifting in excess of 20 pounds throughout the day, depending on court matters being handled. Attorneys are required to cover court matters for each other; attorneys have laptops.
- Bending to pick up the computer bag which sometimes is more than 20 pounds, entering and exiting a vehicle, maneuvering files and computer at security checkpoints
- Turning and twisting at work
- Driving at least 40-50 miles daily depending on the activities being covered, court, doctors' depositions, discovery depositions, and case evaluations, etc.
- Sitting for pro-longed periods of time en route to court, in court or at court proceedings, depositions, etc.
- Walking and rolling brief case with files from vehicle to the legal proceeding and/or deposition and facilitations, etc.
- Trial preparation could require lifting in excess 20 lbs. because of exhibits, materials, records from plaintiff, etc. These materials are printed for some proceedings.
- Ability to work in a hybrid work environment; primarily remote/home based, with occasional in-person appearances as needed.
- Computer skills including MS Office suite
- Budget management skills
- Project management skills and law firm/vendor management
- Legal and business knowledge
- Analytical skills
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Juris doctorate and a license to practice law in the state of New York is required.
This job does not have supervisory duties.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities. May be required to perform other related duties as assigned. Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
This is a Field Home-Based Worker position, meaning your schedule will consist of time in the field as needed, travel for court, etc., and time working remotely from home. This provides you greater flexibility, and this position is eligible for a monthly connectivity reimbursement to offset the costs of internet and phone expenses.
Compensation offered for this role is $100,00.00-$134,800.00 per year and is based on experience and qualifications.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.