The Johnson & Johnson Law Department is recruiting for a Senior Patent Counsel to primarily support Johnson & Johnson’s Ethicon surgical technologies franchise. From creating the first sutures to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures, Ethicon has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years.
With $93.77 billion in 2021 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 136,000 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen!
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The position is based at Ethicon’s campus in Cincinnati, OH. Johnson & Johnson is currently operating under a hybrid working model, which will allow the successful candidate to work remotely two days per week.
As A Senior Patent Counsel, You Will:
- Provide a full range of patent support functions, including patent preparation and prosecution, freedom-to-operate studies (e.g., infringement and validity analysis), and client counseling.
- Draft and negotiate agreements, including license and research collaboration agreements.
- Provide due diligence support for business development activities.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the technology, commercial model and competitive strategies, and patent landscape for Ethicon, one of J&J’s MedTech companies. Representative Ethicon technologies include: adjunctive hemostats, energy sealing and dissecting devices, ablative devices, surgical stapling devices, vascular access and infection control devices, and wound closure products. In-depth knowledge of the technology, commercial model and competitive strategies, as well as the patent landscape, for other MedTech companies may be required.
- Support US and international litigation.
- Manage relationships with external firms, partners and/or outside counsel.
- Deliver regular presentations, train, and interact with business partners about patents, other intellectual property, contracts, and due diligence matters.
- Work closely and collaboratively with senior R&D teams and commercial leaders and colleagues in an independent way.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional (non-patent) legal team members with the confidence and ability to deliver legal advice to the business.
- An undergraduate or advanced degree in engineering is required, with a degree in biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, or electrical engineering being preferred.
- A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school, admitted to the USPTO and licensed to practice in at least one state or the District of Columbia is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years working as an attorney or patent agent within a law firm and/or corporate patent department experience is required.
- A solid understanding of patent law, including understanding of patent strategies, portfolio management, and competitive patent analysis is required.
- Ability to independently handle patent preparation and prosecution experience is required.
- Ability to conduct patentability and non-infringement studies is required.
- Experience in due diligence activities is preferred.
- Background in medical device product technologies is preferred.
- The ability to articulate and positively engage clients and internal partners is required.
- The ability to give well organized and thoughtful presentations to upper management is required.
- A positive attitude, high emotional intelligence and the ability to work in a collaborative and rewarding business environment is required.
- Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time both domestically and internationally.