DWS Group (DWS) is one of the world's leading asset managers with EUR 793bn of assets under management (as of December 2020). Building on more than 60 years of experience and a reputation for excellence in Germany and across Europe, DWS has come to be recognized by clients globally as a trusted source for integrated investment solutions, stability and innovation across a full spectrum of investment disciplines.
We offer individuals and institutions access to our strong investment capabilities across all major asset classes and solutions aligned to growth trends. Our diverse expertise in Active, Passive and Alternatives asset management – as well as our deep environmental, social and governance focus – complement each other when creating targeted solutions for our clients. Our expertise and on-the-ground-knowledge of our economists, research analysts and investment professionals are brought together in one consistent global CIO View, which guides our strategic investment approach.
DWS wants to innovate and shape the future of investing: with staff from 35 nationalities, speaking more than 75 languages rooted in 22 countries, we are local while being one global team.
The Legal Counsel will provide legal guidance and counsel to managers and teams within the Business on a wide range of legal topics. Legal Counsel relies on both generalist legal knowledge and specialist knowledge of specific functional and product-related activities, to support areas such as contract law, documentation, mergers, acquisitions, corporate, insolvency, real estate, employment, intellectual property, litigation, policy and regulatory topics. Legal Counsel will typically provide coverage for a specific team within a division / location and have responsibility for advising in their functional area of expertise on current or future requirements. The role comprises legal advice, decision of legal questions, creation of legal documents and the communication of legal topics to the Business.
What We Offer You:
- We offer competitive health and wellness benefits, empowering you to value life in and out of the office
- Retirement Savings Plans, Parental Leave, and other family-friendly programs
- An environment that encourages networking and collaboration across functions and businesses
- Active engagement with the local community through DWS’s specialized employee groups
Return to Office:
- At this time, all individuals present in the location must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19
- It is the Bank’s expectation that employees hired into this role will work in the New York office in accordance with the Bank’s hybrid working model
- DWS provides reasonable accommodations to candidates and employees with a substantiated need based on disability and/or religion
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Advise on issues related to information security and cybersecurity, data privacy, intellectual property, digital interface (website), and other IP/IT and procurement related issues
- Draft, negotiate, and advise on contracts related to matters including, but not limited to, intellectual property (including index and market data licenses), technology (infrastructure and software), real estate, outsourcing, and other vendor contracts
- Provide legal advice on data protection matters and assist with drafting template data protection clause
- Provide legal advice on patent, trademark, brand management, copyright, trade secrets, and other forms of intellectual property protections
- Assist in the development of policies, processes, and procedures to govern outsourcing and vendor risk management and contract management processes throughout their life-cycle, and providing training on vendor legal risk related matters to internal business clients
- Manage and coordinate with outside counsel on certain contract negotiations and drafting
Your Skills and Experience:
- Requires a JD and US state bar admission. Previous relevant experience as procurement lawyer in a legal department of a global organization or mid-to-large sized law firm, ideally in an “outsourcing,” “technology transactions”, “IT transactions”, or equivalent practice area. Experience with a financial services company is a strong plus
- Demonstrated experience leading contract negotiations, drafting and closing complex agreements for outsourcing agreements, cloud, software licenses, and IT service agreements
- Knowledge of US intellectual property laws and US privacy laws including CCPA, NYDFS and Gramm-Leach-Bliley and familiarity with international privacy laws such as GDPR, e.g. knowledge of data science and AI or ML
- Must be able to work effectively and independently, facing senior management, in a demanding, fast-paced, fluid environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and excellent drafting and negotiation skills are required
How You’ll Lead:
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assignments in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively and build strong working relationships with peers and internal business clients across a global organization
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly and persuasively
The salary range for this position in New York City is $150,000 to $253,000. Actual salaries may be based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, a candidate’s skill set, experience, education and other qualifications. Posted salary ranges do not include incentive compensation or any other type of remuneration.