The Senior Legal Counsel serves as a generalist over legal matters and requires a core competency in supervising litigation matters. This role coordinates and supervises non-tenant litigation, provides legal advice and contract review for certain departments within the Company (e.g. operations, human resources and information technology), and supports special projects on an as needed basis.
Essential Job Functions
- Oversees various threatened and pending litigation with non-tenants, including ADA claims, condemnation proceedings, shopping center slip/fall litigation, etc., and coordinates with outside counsel and insurance carriers where appropriate
- Reviews vendor service contracts arising in the ordinary course of business across various Company departments, including property management and information technology
- Provides ongoing legal support to Human Resources department with respect to employment issues and policies, and supervises outside counsel where needed in connection with these items
- Provides ongoing legal support to Information Technology department with respect to data privacy, cybersecurity and other initiatives, and coordinates with outside counsel where needed in connection with these items
- Assists with various insurance-related matters on an as-needed basis, including claims reviews, assembling information needed to complete insurance renewal applications, etc.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Assumes additional responsibilities and performs special projects as needed or directed.
Education, Training and/or Experience
Juris Doctorate (JD) from accredited law school with seven plus years of experience in litigation and/or compliance role. In-house experience required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Developed knowledge of litigation process with ability to employ judgment in determining how best to pursue and resolve disputes. Ability to collaborate with other departments on these matters and communicate effectively to all stakeholders.
- Familiarity with employment best practices and resolution of alleged violations of employment policies.
- Experience with review of vendor operating contracts, including review of indemnity and insurance provisions.
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to identify issues, take initiative to resolve issues and follow-up until completed.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, adhering to strict deadlines
- Highly detail oriented; organized
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
State Bar license
Combination of large law firm and in-house experience providing legal support for litigation and compliance matters. Familiarity with commercial real estate and/or insurance is a plus but not required.
Nature of work requires an ability to effectively communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, and operate standard business office equipment. Ability to perform duties at a high-quality level for extended hours.
Position located in New York City office (3-day per week in-office requirement) reporting to General Counsel. Consideration will also be given to fully remote candidates located outside of the NYC metro area with exceptionally relevant backgrounds, though fully remote candidates will be required to travel to the Company’s offices located in New York City and Beachwood, OH on occasion. Job position may require extended hours during peak periods.
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of SITE Centers. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.