Description:About this role:
Wells Fargo is seeking a Senior Lead Counsel as part of the Enterprise Functions Division of the Legal Department. Learn more about the career areas and lines of business at wellsfargojobs.com .
This Senior Lead Counsel position is in the Privacy, Information Security, and Data Section and will focus on Privacy. The successful candidate will work closely with Privacy Compliance, the Global Privacy Utility, and other stakeholders. This experienced privacy attorney will provide dedicated full-time service and support to Wells Fargo, controls, and infrastructure, including strategy, planning and analytics, and independent risk management. This role will include frequent interface and collaboration with Legal counterparts in the same section, Technology, Third Party Contracts, Corporate Risk, Regulatory Relations, and Wells Fargo business groups.
In this role, you will:
- Engage and influence stakeholders, internal partners and peers associated with the function or affected by its outcomes
- Apply cross-disciplinary or specialty expertise proactively to manage the most complex legal and regulatory issues.
- Expertly handle matters that have a significant impact on the Company's operations, strategies, or profitability.
- Develop relationships with and provides guidance to senior leadership, including executive officers, on issues that may present legal, regulatory, compliance, or reputational risk to the Company.
- Recognized as an expert in highly complex areas of the law, having demonstrated the ability to address significant legal matters, which may span multiple business lines and practice groups.
- Collaborate within the department and across business and staff functions to address legal and risk issues in a manner consistent with the best interests of Wells Fargo.
- Take an active role in the development of more junior staff.
Due to a city-wide mandate in New York City, all individuals who perform in-person work or interact with the public during business must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or qualify for an approved accommodation to be exempt from being fully vaccinated. Currently, this position falls under the scope of this mandate.
- 7+ years of Law experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Active State Bar membership or the equivalent in a country outside the United States
- Have in-depth knowledge and experience analyzing and applying laws, regulations and corporate policies related to:
- U.S. data privacy laws, including GLBA, state privacy laws (e.g., CCPA/CPRA), and the FCRA
- FCC and FTC consumer privacy rules, including TCPA and UDAAP;
- other federal and state privacy laws such as HIPAA, COPPA, and CAN-SPAM
- International data protection laws, including GDPR and APAC and Americas laws, including cross-border transfer requirements
- Familiarity with international bank secrecy and other laws potentially impacting data use and sharing, such as outsourcing rules
- Strong contract skills, including significant experience structuring, drafting, and reviewing contracts involving U.S. and global (e.g., GDPR) data privacy matters; and experience improving the efficiency and effectiveness of stakeholder contract support.
- Prior experience providing legal support or representation to clients in the use of data in the financial services industry addressing issues such as big data, use of third-party data, product development, and artificial intelligence.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently retain and manage outside counsel to assist on complex issues or projects involving U.S. or international issues. Skilled at conveying outside counsel guidance to internal stakeholders for effective implementation.
- Solid experience succinctly guiding senior levels of management, including drafting concise guidance and effective presentation skills.
- Accustomed to working with global operations and risk management teams in a multinational corporate environment across various time zones.
- Ability to work at one of our approved job posting locations
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule, in office at least 3 days a week