Closing Date: 25th July, 2022
The Senior Immigration Attorney provides legal advice and representation to SCN clients regarding migration, citizenship and business immigration issues, political asylum, and visas, including representation of clients in immigration proceedings in U.S. Immigration Courts.
Reports to: Director of Immigration
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements preliminary case strategy in terms of immigration law and procedure in consultation with supervisor.
- Screening and processing clients to determine eligibility for immigration case processing.
- Screening, preparing, and filing i-485, n-400, n-600, i-589, i-131, and other immigration forms.
- Makes assessment of income eligibility and makes appropriate referrals for those individuals not eligible for Organization services.
- Work closely with SCN clients, staff and volunteers to support the immigration department.
- Prepares eligible cases for hearing, drafting legal papers, engaging in negotiation, presenting evidence, etc. in accord with the Code of Professional Responsibility for the legal profession.
- In accordance with the ethical standards required of the legal profession, the Code of Professional Responsibility, preserves client confidentiality, and accounts for client monies and avoids conflict of interest.
- Carries a volume of work as required by the department while maintaining highly organized case files in the organization's data systems including Salesforce. Has in-depth knowledge of legal and other resources. Provides a wide range of court advocacy services.
- Responds accurately and timely to clients, directors, and officials.
- Interacts with various outside entities, including but not limited to clients, governmental agencies, and officials, courts, and other law firms.
- Provides technical assistance and guidance to legal interns, pro-bono volunteer attorneys, and paralegal staff.
- Supervises attorneys in the matter of legal procedures as it relates SCN's immigration clinic
- Collaborates with the wider immigration team and coalitions to address relevant legal issues.
- Travels to court when required to represent clients.
- Remains current on immigration law, policies, and procedures. Remains current on implications of criminal and civil law as it applies to the representation of immigrants and refugees.
- Participates in training on immigration procedures as assigned by the supervisor.
- Identifies trends and recurring legal and social concerns. Recommends strategies for solutions and other needed advocacy.
- Adheres to professional standards as outlined by governmental bodies, (and/or other appropriate professional associations), private funding sources, organization plans/policies and departmental guidelines. Participates in periodic evaluative reviews and/or in-house and external staff training to ensure understanding and continues to adhere to such standards. Initiates requests for assistance or guidance from supervisor to address new issues or complex concepts affecting adherence to professional standards.
- Prepares outwards-facing text materials and virtual/in-person presentations on know-your-rights and other immigration-legal topics of interest to client base.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-approved law school.
- Licensed to practice law in the state of IL.
- understanding of Middle Eastern culture / Arabic speaking or bilingual is a plus.
- strong interpersonal with the demonstrated ability to engage with client base.
- Commitment to social justice and basic understanding of issues affecting refugees.
- Knowledge of Salesforce, Google Products, Microsoft Office preferred.
- Inputs necessary data on a weekly basis at a minimum.
- Meets weekly with Director of Immigration to discuss team issues and ensure data integrity.
This position is exempt from overtime.
- Application Deadline: July 25, 2022
- Ideal Start Date: September 1, 2022
- Salary: $80,000-$90,000 per year
Hybrid work environment, Half-day Fridays, Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits