Citizens Bank, N.A. is looking for a highly motivated, results-oriented attorney to join its Consumer Legal team in a fast-paced environment, supporting Citizens’ growing and dynamic Consumer business with an initial focus on consumer credit servicing and default operations for Mortgage, Home Equity, Auto, Student, Credit Card, and unsecured lending programs, as well as supporting consumer deposit operations matters.
Job Location: This position location may be based in various Citizens corporate office locations with preference for Westwood, MA and Johnston, RI due to their large Consumer footprints. Various hybrid work arrangements are permitted.
- Trusted advisor to Citizens Consumer Operations, which includes servicing and collections on consumer lending products (mortgage, home equity lines of credit, auto, student and unsecured credit) as well as consumer deposits matters (bank branch issues, garnishments, subpoenas, etc.).
- Work closely with management, functional partners and legal colleagues on new initiatives, problem solving and escalated customer issues.
- Monitor changes to legal and regulatory landscape and research, analyze and provide sound legal advice on legal and compliance matters related to existing and evolving financial products and services.
- Serve as trusted advisor to business and functional partners on initiatives, strategic planning, internal audit and regulatory exam support, contract interpretation/negotiation and dispute resolution.
- Manage external counsel when approved to support a particular project (as much of the work is done in-house as possible).
- Potential management position in time.
- Limited travel.
- 5+ years of law firm or in-house experience.
- Familiarity with the consumer banking regulatory framework such as FDCPA/Regulation F, FCRA, TILA/Regulation Z, E-Sign, and UDAAP.
- A proven ability to comfortably operate in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- The confidence to critically examine the status quo as appropriate, bring fresh and innovative thinking and be outspoken, when necessary, coupled with strong communication skills.
- Highly collaborative team player with a positive attitude, growth mindset, good sense of humor and ability to stay calm when the pressure is on.
Ideal Candidates Would Possess:
- Familiarity with bank branch operations matters.
- Knowledgeable with payment processing, ACH, Regulation E, NACHA rules.
- The perseverance and patience necessary to work through ambiguity and see a matter through to completion.
- The ability to see past the immediate question and understand the broader implications and wider strategy.
- The ability to think tactically to get to the best result for all parties.
JD or equivalent, strong academic credentials and admission to at least one U.S. bar required.