Panasonic Avionics is seeking a Senior Counsel in-house attorney to join our Legal Department, based in our Irvine, CA office. Our legal team is looking for an experienced commercial technology lawyer to join our group and work closely with our core engineering and digital product groups as they imagine, create and deliver the technology that enables Panasonic as the global leader of innovation to engage and entertain airline passengers around the world. If you are someone who is a down-to-earth team player and have a passion to work on innovative technology and partnership deals, then this is a great role for you.
In this role, you will build a deep understanding of the Panasonic engineering, digital solutions, connectivity and product organizations while providing practical product counseling to enable rapid development of innovative products, including advising on privacy, regulatory, safety, policy and other issues while coordinating closely with legal specialists in each of these areas as needed.
The person in this role will need to develop collaborative relationships with internal clients and colleagues to advise on risks, deal structures and efficient methods for achieving business goals. This person also will need to be skilled in coordinating cross-functionally to support all aspects of the development, deployment and maintenance of products and services. The person will need to be comfortable working in a fast paced environment with the flexibility to adjust priorities as demanded by the business.
This individual will be key in driving PAC’s digital transformation by providing legal support to internal business and technical teams engaged in, strategic relationships, product development, commercialization, and deployment, software and SaaS, PaaS, and IT Technology transactions. Extensive experience in drafting, negotiating, and closing commercial technology agreements is required. The individual will also draft supplemental terms and conditions, and augment company license and services templates for the deployment of software products and solutions.
Extensive commercial contracting experience is a must. Experience with general M&A, strategic transactions, antitrust, technology, open-source software, and other intellectual property expertise is a plus, as is experience with evolving data protection and privacy frameworks to enable effective facilitation with the Panasonic data protection and privacy team. Please note this is not a privacy/data protection, nor an IP-specific role.
Working with the other members of the Legal Department, this attorney is responsible for the following:
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating inbound and outbound software evaluation, license, PaaS, SaaS, strategic alliance, reseller, support and cloud services agreements
- Working closely with the business through the new product introduction and commercialization process, including performing IP due diligence, identifying privacy, and other regulatory issues relating to the products
- Supporting key strategic commercial agreements
- Conducting routine antitrust review for selected long-term commercial relationships
- Website and mobile application terms development and licensing support
- Workflow process improvement, playbook development, training, and forms updating
What We're Looking For:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A strong understanding of technology, consumer electronics and the internet
- Impeccable ethics and a high-level of integrity.
- Strong Project Management skills.
- Ability to independently manage a diverse and complex workload while maintaining priorities and proactively anticipating issues.
- Strong teaming skills; approaches work with flexibility and a positive attitude, and constructively manages change.
- Emotionally intelligent, invested, and engaged.
- Collaborative working style.
- High degree of leadership and decision-making skills.
- Articulate and thoughtful - able to adapt communication on complex issues for different audiences.
- Strong business acumen.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- J.D. with a minimum of 10 years of relevant legal experience.
- 8-10 years at a technology or media company focusing on technology and/or strategic transactions is highly preferred
- 2-4 years at a law firm focusing on complex transactions (M&A, finance or licensing) is preferred
- Active membership in at least one U.S. state bar.
- Responsibility of comparable scale a plus.