Senior Counsel, Operations will be part of a team that will collaborate with other team members to oversee, plan, organize and direct the legal staff and legal work of Community Behavioral Health (CBH) to provide legal advice, counsel, and representation to CBH staff. You will primarily advise on and provide legal guidance, interpretation, and recommendations for action to CBH officers, executive staff, and other internal stakeholders regarding healthcare and health insurance law, regulatory issues, and business matters.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Act as a strategic partner to clients by consulting on complex regulatory issues.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with key division and department leaders, and functional subject matter experts to ensure the appropriate legal guidance and delivery of problem-solving strategies.
- Lead counsel on healthcare and health insurance regulatory issues and business partner to our provider operations team.
- Provide leadership, including strategic and tactical advice.
- Manage and oversee the activities and work-products of attorneys and support staff.
- Provide oversight, advice, review, negotiation and revision for contracts, policies, procedures, regulatory documents.
- Provide oversight for matters concerning compliance, privacy, security, and data management.
- Analyze legal risks, opportunities, and options, related to CBH’s vision, mission, and goals.
- Contribute legal advice on corporate transactional matters such as draft and negotiate contracts, advise on and general commercial matters, and draft and file legally required forms.
- Review policies and procedures to ensure that they are legally compliant and up to date.
- Assist in the management of litigation by working with outside counsel to obtain court orders for discovery, mediation, or settlement conferences
Education: Graduate of an accredited law school with Juris Doctorate
License: A member in good standing with the Pennsylvania Bar, ability to waive into the Pennsylvania Bar, or ability to obtain Pennsylvania Limited In-House Counsel License
Experience: Requires 7-10 years of related experience
Preferred: Experience in managed care, healthcare, Medicaid, Medicare, or relevant government experience
- Attention to detail and exceptional organization skills
- Possess sound problem-solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrate good business judgment by knowing what issues to push, when to seek help internally, and how to manage the company’s internal negotiation and approvals processes
- Work independently and identify areas to continually improve an drive efficiency into the procurement and contracting processes with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to complete assignments in a timely manner and with high degree of autonomy
- Responsive and client-service focused
- Willingly accepts additional responsibility, challenging tasks, and projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills required to share information or to negotiate with executive management and those outside the company and to motivate/coach other staff
- Fully proficient in MS Office applications such as Word, Excel, and Outlook
Philadelphia Residency Requirement:
The successful candidate must be a current Philadelphia resident or become a resident within six months of hire.
Covid-19 Vaccine Requirement:
The safety and well-being of our candidates, our people, and their families continues to be a top priority. Subject to applicable law, please be aware that CBH requires all employees to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day. CBH is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, promotion, or any other personnel action based on all qualified individuals. This is without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex/gender, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected individual genetic information, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability in each aspect of the human resources function by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Requesting An Accommodation:
CBH is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities or religious observance, including reasonable accommodation when needed. If you are hired by CBH and require an accommodation to perform the essential functions of your role, you will be asked to participate in our accommodation process. Accommodations made to facilitate the recruiting process are not a guarantee of future or continued accommodation once hired.
If you would like to be considered for employment opportunities with CBH and have accommodation needs for a disability or religious observance, please send us an email at CBH.Recruitment@Phila.gov