Provide procurement, commercial, and general legal support for a fortune 200 company with iconic brands and help deliver against an exciting vision! If you have a JD with 5+ years of work experience, we want to speak with you.
We are actively seeking a Senior Counsel to join our Law Department in Richmond, VA, and are open to remote work arrangements.
The position provides day-to-day legal support to our Procurement organization, primarily focused on developing, managing and negotiating IT commercial contracts, including, master service agreements, Software as a Service agreements, software licensing agreements, hardware acquisition and support agreements and associated statements of work (collectively, “IT Agreements”) and commercial agreements for Altria’s foreign affiliates. In addition, the position will support certain related supply chain and commercial issues, drafting intercompany services agreements among our subsidiaries, and supporting other strategic Procurement priorities that arise in a large and fast-paced organization.
- Provide legal advice to Altria’s Procurement organization regarding the development, negotiation and management of IT Agreements and engagements and international agreements for Altria’s foreign businesses and activities.
- Day-to-day contract counseling; advising partners of potential contractual risks and proposing risk mitigation strategies; and providing creative and legally sound solutions for resolution of disputes with commercial business partners.
- Assign and manage internal law support and outside counsel and serve as a liaison between outside counsel and the Procurement organization.
- Develop and coordinate contract templates and other commercial documents for IT procurement.
- Develop, improve, and implement the policies, manuals, procedures, controls, training and other guidance for the Procurement organization and the business.
- Support Altria’s subsidiaries and affiliates in determining the need for intercompany agreements and arrangements and draft, coordinate and manage such agreements.
- A law degree and an admission to a state bar are required.
- Proven experience in drafting, preparing, and negotiating commercial agreements, including IT Agreements and international agreements, in a law firm or corporate legal department.
- Experience in United States and European (GDPR) privacy, information security and data governance regulations.
- Experience in, and knowledge of, corporate separateness issues and intercompany agreements is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to think strategically with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent leadership skills and business judgment with a capacity to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Communicate effectively with a non-legal audience, and balance multiple priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrate reliability, good judgment, teamwork, time management, effective research and writing skills and the ability to coordinate sophisticated projects and lead them to successful completion.
We recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in supporting and developing our employees by providing them with opportunities for training, development, and advancement. We also offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our incentive compensation and deferred profit-sharing programs, as well as a relocation assistance package.
Altria has a leading portfolio of tobacco products for U.S. tobacco consumers age 21+. Altria’s Vision through 2030 is to responsibly lead the transition of adult smokers to a non-combustible future. Altria is Moving Beyond Smoking™, leading the way in moving adult smokers away from cigarettes by taking action to transition millions to potentially less harmful choices - believing it is a substantial opportunity for adult tobacco consumers, Altria’s businesses and society. Altria’s wholly owned subsidiaries include the most profitable tobacco companies in their categories: Philip Morris USA Inc. (PM USA), U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company LLC (USSTC), and John Middleton Co. (Middleton). Altria’s smoke-free portfolio includes Helix Innovations LLC (Helix), the maker of on! oral nicotine pouches, exclusive U.S. commercialization rights to the IQOS Tobacco Heating System®* and Marlboro HeatSticks®*, and an equity investment in JUUL Labs, Inc. (JUUL). Altria also owns equity investments in Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV (ABI), the world’s largest brewer, and Cronos Group Inc. (Cronos), a leading Canadian cannabinoid company. At Altria, we celebrate the power of diverse teams working together to shape our future. We are inspired to bring our best because our unique strengths are valued. We believe our personal success and progress should be guided by Our Cultural Aspiration, a new articulation of what we value and who we aspire to be, collectively. Our Cultural Aspiration respects and complements individual identity, embracing each other’s unique strengths, welcoming newcomers and developing the best, most inclusive and diverse teams. Join us as we work together to shape a better future for adult tobacco consumers, our employees, and our shareholders. Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. Learn more about Altria at www.altria.com and follow us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. *IQOS Devices and HeatSticks® are currently unavailable for sale in the United States.