Why work for us?
Driven by our purpose: Building progress for people and the planet. We are transforming to become the leader in innovative and sustainable building solutions. Holcim US offers an unparalleled range of innovative cement, aggregates, asphalt, concrete products and construction services that have been the foundation for infrastructure projects across the globe. To move the industry forward to a greener future we need people who are passionate about sustainability, are driven to shape and influence perception, and keen to build, grow and thrive in our high-performance culture. Are you ready to build progress with us?
As the world’s global leader in innovative and sustainable building materials, Holcim is reinventing how the world builds to make it greener and smarter for all. Supported by a 70,000 strong global team spread across 70 markets and four business segments, we are committed to becoming a net zero company. To do so, we need world-class talent to join our team. People who are passionate about sustainability, are driven to shape and influence perception and keen to build, grow and thrive in our high-performance culture.
About the role:
Reporting to the General Counsel and based in Chicago, Illinois, you will work directly with the business units on corporate and commercial transactions, M&A transactions, contract drafting and review, competition law, employment matters, real estate matters, litigation management, regulatory matters, and other legal and compliance issues that are encountered in the operations of a multi-national company.
What you'll be doing
- Demonstrate a commitment to communicating, improving, and adhering to safety policies in all work environments and areas.
- Lead and manage various corporate and commercial transactions on behalf of the company.
- Lead and be directly responsible for the preparation, review and negotiation of business contracts across various state and federal jurisdictions.
- Meet with and advise company senior management on various business transactions and matters that arise in the normal course of business.
- Meet with and advise senior management of the company regarding competition law and compliance matters that arise in the normal course of business.
- Interpret and advise on laws, rulings, and regulations impacting the company.
- Manage various interactions with government authorities, including regulatory compliance matters and responding to regulatory investigations (including health & safety matters).
- Examine factual and legal case law to make recommendations on the advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuits and/or regulatory enforcement matters.
- Interact, manage and direct outside litigation counsel on various matters.
- With Legal & Compliance team, develop and deliver training on relevant legal and compliance-related business law topics to applicable employees.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
What we're looking for:
- Required Education: Bachelor's/Undergraduate Degree and a Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school or equivalent international standing
- Doctoral or professional degree
- Field of Study Preferred: Corporate/Commercial Law.
- Required Work Experience: Minimum 10 years’ practice with a reputable law firm and/or relevant in-house experience at a large company
- Required Training/Certifications: Licensed member of the bar in at least one U.S. jurisdiction
- Required Computer and Software Skills: Demonstrated thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Travel Requirements: Regular travel required (15-25%)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Self-starter, show initiative, able to work autonomously without direction.
- Possess a strong ethical compass.
- Demonstrate a practical, business-minded approach when handling or advising on legal matters.
- Understand business implications of decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to handle numerous high-profile legal issues in a fast-paced environment while maintaining calm and focus.
- Personable and service oriented with the ability to persuasively assert legal positions taken.
- Synthesize complex information clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Write clearly and informatively.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Demonstrate knowledge of market and competition.
What we Offer...
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications
- Generous Paid Time Off & Paid Holidays
- Dress for your day policy
- Holistic health & well-being programs for physical, mental/emotional and financial health with access to resources and benefits to help focus on staying well through education and prevention
- Medical, Dental, Disability and Life Insurance coverage
- Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) & Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) for health and dependent Care
- Vision and other voluntary benefits and discounts
- Retirement Savings – Choose from 401(k) pre-tax and/or Roth after-tax savings
- Paid Parental Leave (Maternity & Paternity)
- Educational Assistance Program