BuzzFeed is looking for a Senior Counsel/Assistant General Counsel of Legal and Business Affairs (subject to experience), to join a team of attorneys dedicated to partnering with revenue and operation functions on the structuring, negotiation and execution of BuzzFeed’s corporate and commercial transactions, across all BuzzFeed operations and locations. The ideal candidate can evaluate transactions in a way that balances needs, and mitigates risk while achieving the business end-goal, and will be a trusted and knowledgeable advisor to business leaders. This is not a fully-remote position, but will only occasionally require an in-office presence in our New York and/or LA office.
- Lead and coordinate the delivery of high-quality legal support for advertising sales, business development and other commercial transactions (including branded content, sponsorships, partnerships, and digital assets).
- Review, negotiate and draft complex media-buy, event services, sponsorship, and content-creation agreements.
- Work closely with business stakeholders to negotiate and draft out-licensing and merchandising agreements, tech transactions and product development agreements.
- Collaborate with key business stakeholders and legal team colleagues to support BuzzFeed’s corporate transactional activities, including without limitation, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic partnerships.
- Keep up to date with industry and regulatory changes in the media, advertising, technology and corporate law and securities spaces, and advise business stakeholders on these matters.
- JD degree, and active membership in any State Bar (NY or CA State Bar preferred), in good standing.
- 7+ years of legal experience as a transactional attorney (preferably including both law firm and in-house legal or business affairs experience in an ad agency, or media, entertainment or digital media company.
- Strong transactional negotiation and drafting skills and experiences, including in advertising sales, event services, sponsorship, and content-creation agreements, intellectual property licensing and digital media-related commercial transactions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of contract law and intellectual property rights, as well as a thorough understanding of current market licensing and distribution terms.
- Experience drafting and negotiating a wide variety of complex commercial agreements (e.g., licensing agreements, partnership agreements, technology agreements, etc.), and demonstrated skill at interpreting and providing advice to internal clients regarding rights, obligations, restrictions, and all other contractual provisions and financial aspects of commercial contracts.
- Ability to contribute to global commercial and IP licensing strategy, and counsel all levels of the organization on complex commercial matters and problems.
- Experience negotiating and drafting agreements typically required of a studio, streamer and/or network for original content productions across all media platforms (e.g., rights acquisition, talent agreements, production services agreements, distribution agreements, and financing agreements) is a significant plus.
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strategic mindset with sound and practical judgment, and high decision quality.
- Ability to work independently and under tight timelines and to plan, prioritize and organize multiple cross-functional tasks.
- Desire to work in a collaborative, fast-paced and engaging environment, with the ability to handle a high-volume workload with accurate execution.
- Willingness to tackle matters in and outside areas of expertise with a can-do, flexible attitude, understanding that no job is too big or too small.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Gmail.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
- English fluency is required.