Hill International, a global construction consulting firm specializing in construction management and program and project management, is looking for a Senior Compliance and Corporate Counsel to join its Legal Department. This full-time exempt hybrid role can be based in a city with close proximity to a Hill Office. The Department’s mission is to build and manage a compliance program that supports compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and proactively identifies and reduces risk, while fostering a culture of integrity across Hill, from top-level executive strategy to day-to-day operations.
As Senior Compliance and Corporate Counsel, you will play a key role in expanding and growing Hill’s commitment to compliance. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and skilled at building rapport and collaborating with a variety of stakeholders. You should have a keen interest in providing guidance to business stakeholders across a variety of legal issues and be passionate about promoting the value of compliance and ethics and building a culture of integrity.
The Senior Compliance and Corporate Counsel will also support the SVP, General Counsel, Americas and the International SVP, General Counsel in providing legal counsel with respect to the Company’s operations and general legal affairs. The Senior Compliance and Corporate Counsel will assist with advising the business on issues pertaining to the Company’s construction management and project management services, the Company’s contract/vendor management programs, and corporate licensing and registrations. The position also assists with ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and providing general corporate advice as needed.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive compliance program to ensure the company's adherence to applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards within the Project Management Industry.
- Conduct periodic compliance audits and risk assessments to identify areas of non-compliance and develop corrective action plans.
- Assist in the development and delivery of compliance training programs to educate employees on legal and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Finance, Human Resources, and Operations, to ensure compliance requirements are integrated into business processes and operations.
- Provide support for Hill’s code of conduct, anti-corruption, and other corporate policies.
- Conduct, direct, and support internal and external investigations, including collecting and reviewing information, interviewing witnesses and subjects, preparing investigation reports, and coordinating needed remediation.
- Prepare communication materials for diverse audiences to reinforce and support the compliance program and assist in designing overall communications strategy.
- Contribute to and support data protection and privacy compliance initiatives with Privacy Officer, including developing training and monitoring and responding to legal and regulatory developments.
- Assist in mapping the Company’s internal controls infrastructure, assessing potential weaknesses, and monitoring the controls environment for potential breach.
- Negotiate, draft and review commercial contracts, including services and consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, vendor agreements, joint venture agreements, subconsultant agreements, construction agreements, government contracts and leases.
- Assist with litigation management, alternative dispute resolution processes, and insurance coverage matters.
- Proactively identify, review, and monitor applicable laws and regulations affecting employment law, construction law, federal privacy and data security laws, and all similar/related state and local laws and regulations.
- Assist in the development of training regarding laws and regulations that impact the Company.
- Assist in oversight of the Company’s contract and vendor management programs to assist the Privacy Officer in ensuring internal compliance and that third party vendors comply with contractual requirements, and privacy and data security laws.
- Provide analysis and legal advice on general corporate matters, including licensing and registrations.
- Additional related duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an ABA-accredited law school required and membership in at least one US state bar.
- 5-7 years of experience as a practicing attorney, either in-house, or at a top law firm.
- 3+ years of experience in/knowledge of corporate compliance and ethics best practices, regulatory requirements and industry standards.
- Experience negotiating, drafting, reviewing, and enforcing contracts.
- General corporate law experience.
- Construction industry experience a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving, written, and oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Experience conducting internal investigations and managing external regulatory inquiries is a plus.
- Knowledge of international compliance regulations and experience working in a global organization is a plus.
- Willingness to travel as required from 15% to 25% (both domestic and international).
** The salary range for this position is $150,000 to $175,000. The offered salary will be based on education, experience, skills, and work location.**
Depending upon your employment status, Hill’s comprehensive benefits may include, Medical, Dental, Vision, Employer Paid Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurances, Business Travel Accident Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Commuter Benefits, Legal Assistance, Identity Theft Protection, Pet Insurance, Auto & Home Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Accident Insurance, Hospital Indemnity Insurance, Voluntary Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance. Paid Time Off (PTO), Holidays, 401(K) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Referral Program, Professional Certification Incentive Program, Hill University Learning and Development, Tuition Reimbursement, EAP, & Years of Service Awards Program.
Hill International, with more than 3,200 professionals in over 100 offices worldwide, provides program management, project management, construction management, project management oversight, dispute resolution, advisory, facilities management, and other consulting services to clients in a variety of market sectors. Engineering News-Record magazine recently ranked Hill as one of the largest construction management firms in the United States. For more information on Hill, please visit our website at www.hillintl.com.
Hill is exclusively a program, project, and construction management provider, meaning we have one focus as a company: protecting client interests. Free of any potential conflicts, our entire business is geared towards helping clients achieve their desired outcomes. We are dedicated to exceeding expectations throughout the entire construction project lifecycle and adapt to the needs of each assignment to develop tailored approaches and solutions to meet those needs.
Hill is a proud member of the Global Infrastructure Solutions, Inc. family of companies. Learn more about GISI at www.gisi.com.
Hill International is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Note: This job description is intended to provide an indication of the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions to be carried out as part of fulfilling the role mentioned in the job title. Various other duties as required.
IER Right to Work Poster (https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/default/files/IER_RightToWorkPoster.pdf#xd_co_f=NWM0OGI2ZjgtMjliYy00Yjg4LTg5NWUtNzNiYTNlYzM2ODMy~)
E-Verify Participation Poster (https://www.hillintl.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/E-Verify-Participation-Poster.pdf)