At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
We are hiring a Senior Commercial Counsel. This role is a key member of the Legal team within AES Clean Energy.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide advice and counsel to commercial and project development teams for renewable energy and battery storage projects from early development through commercial operation.
- Oversee the negotiation, drafting, and execution of power purchase agreements, energy trading agreements, renewable energy credit agreements, and other commercial and trading contracts.
- Support the commercial execution team on ongoing commercial and project development matters, with a focus on project execution and commercial agreement compliance.
- Achieve and maintain industry knowledge and strategy expertise, with a focus on wholesale market rules.
- Support project teams to prepare and issue requests for offers for energy and related products in emerging markets.
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Six to ten years of relevant legal experience, preferably at a major or specialized law firm or sophisticated in-house legal department
- Strong, documented renewable energy transactional experience and negotiation skills.
- Experience negotiating power purchase agreements, ISDA master agreements, and other complex energy and trading contracts.
- Experience with renewable energy wholesale markets (ISOs/RTOs) or Federal Energy Regulatory Commission matters.
- Excellent problem-solving ability.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work effectively individually and as part of a team.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of duties and work in a fast-paced environment
- Smart, decisive, organized, methodical, biased toward action.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- J. D from an accredited law school
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
The expected salary for this position, at commencement of employment, is between $140.000 and $199.750/Annual; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements such as annual bonus, in addition to a full range of medical, dental, vision, life, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if a candidate receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Safety comes first at AES. To protect the health and safety of our people, customers, communities and partners, and to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, AES requires all newly-hired people or current AES people applying for U.S.-based role(s), to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be willing to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their date of hire. Except where prohibited by law or not specifically covered in a collective bargaining agreement, new hires and transfers will be required to provide proof of vaccination during onboarding and periodically thereafter. This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities, as applicable.