The Senior Attorney 1– Litigation will be a member of the Legal Department's Litigation team and will primarily be responsible for providing legal support to the Litigation section of the Legal department at Flagstar Bank. In this position, the successful candidate will partner with members of internal business units, outside Legal counsel and other members of the Legal team.
The Senior Attorney 1 – Litigation will review and manage litigation and pre-litigation matters. Acts as a liaison between business unit members and management, and outside counsel on threatened or pending litigation involving the bank. This will include providing timely review, analysis and providing legal advice and recommendations to the business areas, developing litigation strategies, reviewing and approving all pleadings and managing outside counsel engaged to represent Flagstar. This individual will have direct experience working for a practice group at a large bank and/or mid to large law firm providing litigation support to financial institutions, and be familiar with current market practice, litigation trends, applicable state and federal banking and mortgage-related regulations and guidance issued by relevant financial services banking and mortgage trade associations.
- Confers with impacted business lines, management and other legal counsel on a variety of legal matters.
- Identifies risks and proposes alternative structures to mitigate risks involved in potential transactions.
- Oversees legal processes and refers litigation matters to outside counsel, as appropriate.
- Ensures legal compliance with all documentation and processes.
- Reviews internal documents, legal pleadings; draft routine documentation.
- Oversees the development, use and maintenance of standardized documents.
- Assists in the selection and recommendation of outside legal counsel for various pending and threatened litigation matters; assists in evaluating and providing feedback to outside counsel; advises impacted business units.
- Stays current on all relevant caselaw, state and federal regulations, and any changes that may affecting/impact the various business lines and company practices.
- Juris Doctorate Required
- Licensed attorney in good standing in the United States, with membership in, or ability to become a member of, the State Bar of Michigan.
- 7+ years corporate experience at a large bank or law firm focused on financial services, banking and/or mortgage lending.
- Documentation experience should include primary drafting responsibilities for litigation matters, motion and trial practice
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school Member in good standing of bar of state in United States, with ability to become a member of the State Bar of Michigan through corporate affiliation or reciprocity
- Exhibits sound practical judgment
- Proven analytical and organizational skills
- Proven ability to handle projects from inception to conclusion in a timely manner
- Easily able to multi-task, prioritize and adapt to new demands, and communicate complex ideas in an understandable manner
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Solid problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Understands how litigation issues impact business operations and is able to provide the business units analysis and recommendations without delay
- Staff member is expected to consistently adhere to regulatory and compliance policies and standards linked to their job as listed. Staff member will not repeatedly act in a manner signifying intentional or willful noncompliance, nor exhibit gross negligence or a general disregard for compliance and regulatory standards. Staff member must ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Staff member must complete all required compliance training on a timely basis. Staff member will maintain knowledge of and adhere to Flagstar's internal compliance policies and procedures. Staff member must take responsibility to keep up to date with changing regulations and policies.
- This is an In-Person (NOT remote) position, located at Flagstar's regional headquarters in Troy, Michigan.