The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Senior Assistant General Counsel HSI (Humane Society International) for the Office of General Counsel. Together with the General Counsel of Humane Society International (HSI), provide legal advice on a wide variety of issues to HSI and its foreign affiliated entities. In addition, alongside other attorneys in the Office of the General Counsel, provide legal advice to The Humane Society of the United States and its other affiliates, particularly regarding matters, transactions and arrangements with an international (outside continental US) aspect.
You will be responsible for:
- Counseling and advising HSI and its foreign affiliates on a wide variety of legal issues that apply to US 501(c)(3) and other tax-exempt organizations, and non-profit or charitable organizations incorporated and operating in foreign jurisdictions with minimal supervision from senior lawyers. Providing legal and strategic advice through routine interaction with executives, management, and other employees;
- Maintaining template infrastructure for agreements. Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and supporting implementation of wide variety of legal instruments including contracts, licenses, assignments, releases, waivers, memoranda, litigation materials and corporate documents;
- Assisting in providing corporate governance support to HSI and foreign affiliate;
- Assisting in developing, implementing, and managing compliance and risk management strategies, including policies, procedures, and trainings;
- Supervising outside counsel and managing associated expenses. Managing litigation in partnership with outside counsel;
- Staying up to date on developments in relevant legal areas;
- Performing other duties or responsibilities, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Juris doctor degree required;
- A minimum of six (6) years of experience practicing law with an established law firm, corporation or government agency required;
- Current license in good standing to practice law;
- Substantial experience drafting, reviewing, negotiating and supporting implementation of wide variety of contracts and agreements;
- Expertise advising complex tax-exempt, internationally focused organizations preferred;
- Superb analytical, organizational, and oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to provide accurate and timely advice in an accessible manner and tailored to the organizations’ needs;
- Ability to identify underlying issues in complex situations and resolve problems creatively, effectively, and proactively;
- Ability to learn quickly and gain credibility through use of good judgment, high integrity, and collegial attitude;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work independently, as part of a team, and with all levels of the organization;
- Ability to handle information of a confidential nature and ensure that such information is secured and maintained in an appropriate manner;
- Comfortable in a wide range of cultural, geographic and operational situations, demonstrating culturally sensitive behavior with a diverse range of people.
This position is in the DC Metro Area- Remote Eligible
Please submit your resume and cover letter as one document.
The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE