Closing Date: 30th November, 2023
Rule 9 Legal Interns are assigned to the City of Marysville Prosecution Division and will assist the City Prosecutors with their caseloads in municipal court. This division prosecutes all criminal violations of City ordinances, appears in contested civil infractions, and handles appeals of criminal matters.
Examples of Job Duties
- Appear in court for arraignments, pretrial hearings, probation violation hearings, arguing motions, and more
- Prepare and argue contested infraction hearings in which the defendant has hired private counsel or when an officer has been subpoenaed
- Assist with trial preparation and, as scheduling permits, participate in jury trials
- Research legal issues and write briefs
- Completion of second year of law school – Must be Washington State Rule 9 Eligible (http://www.wsba.org/Licensing-and-Lawyer-Conduct/Rule-9-Licensed-Legal-Interns)
- Must pass a criminal history background check
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift up to 10 pounds; and occasionally lift and/or move 10 to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position works in an office, and the noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, i.e. copier toner.
Regular and reliable attendance is an essential function of this position.
This position description generally describes the principle functions of the position and the level of knowledge and skills typically required. It does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and it is subject to change as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or disability.
Reasonable Accommodation: If requested, the City of Marysville may provide reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities during the selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 360-363-8000.