Description:The Regulatory Compliance Counsel is responsible for leading the Company's compliance efforts, ensuring compliance with all state and federal regulations, creating and implementing internal policies and procedures, and anticipating future regulatory risk. This position will frequently collaborate with both the Compliance and Legal Teams and perform a wide range of duties including conducting complex legal research, evaluating and updating current company processes, and advising as to compliance and legal issues as they arise and as to best practice. The successful candidate will be organized, consistent, focused, and driven, and have working knowledge of the latest real estate industry practices and regulations. The Regulatory Compliance Counsel will be part of our 10 person legal team and report directly to the Chief Legal Officer.
Although we are headquartered in Irving, Texas, this is a fully remote role.
As Regulatory Compliance Counsel, You Will
- Lead the Company's nationwide compliance efforts and advise as to compliance with various state and federal regulations, including, but not limited to, TCPA, RESPA, Do No Call, CAN-SPAM, data privacy, U.S. Patriot Act, and Anti-Money Laundering, and real estate regulations.
- Complex research of national compliance with individual state advertising and licensing laws.
- Implement internal policies and procedures and create mechanisms for monitoring compliance.
- Address compliance issues in the field as they arise and confidently propose creative solutions Collaborate with legal on multifaceted compliance/legal issues and advise as to risk/liability exposure.
- Anticipate future regulatory risk based on changes to industry, laws, regulations or interpretations.
- Oversee state real estate commission compliance audits and respond to complaints from the real estate commission, attorney general, and other regulatory agencies.
- Review and draft nationwide real estate contracts and transaction documents.
- Assist in responding to requests pertaining to Financial Crimes Enforcement (“FinCEN”)
We're Looking For A Teammate That Has
- Thoughtful, prepared, and confident attorney with demonstrated exceptional research and writing skills.
- Instills trust, strong communicator with consistent work ethic.
- Demonstrates strong business insight with the ability to apply regulatory, legal and market knowledge to advance the organization's goals.
- Team Player with the ability to self-motivate and independently manage diverse workload in a remote setting.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and attention to deadlines.
- Resourceful and able to quickly pivot from one project to another in a fast-paced environment Working knowledge of real estate industry processes and regulations including closing procedures.
- General understanding of business entity structures and entity documents is a plus.
- Knowledge of TCPA, RESPA, Do No Call, CAN-SPAM, data privacy, U.S. Patriot Act, and Anti-Money Laundering, and real estate regulations
- 3+ years' experience in real estate, lending, or related field;
- 5+ years' experience in compliance, audit, or risk;
- 7+ years' experience as a licensed attorney;
- 2+ years' experience as in-house counsel (preferred)
- 2+ years of experience with a law firm servicing business clients.