Description:The Role: Join a top-flight legal team of a publicly-traded technology company and structure, draft and negotiate commercial agreements with sophisticated customers (often Fortune 1000 companies and including customers in highly-regulated industries). These agreements primarily cover MicroStrategy software, cloud, services, and other offerings but also include complex vendor transactions. You have demonstrated experience in independently drafting and negotiating complex licensing contracts both skillfully and efficiently, as well as other transactional experience that you would enjoy applying in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment. This position will also work with other team members and other departments and executives to develop proposals and processes for executing on our strategic commercial objectives. Strong business-oriented communication skills, analytical thoroughness, a penchant for project management, and high drafting standards are salient traits of the person for this role. You are dedicated to getting the issues right, but also comfortable with risk-managed approaches to fashioning nimble solutions.
- Independently draft, review, and negotiate complex technology-related agreements and other documents in a clear and concise manner, requiring support from other attorneys only for the more novel and complex matters. Examples include agreements relating to software licensing, cloud subscriptions, professional services, OEM/ASP, resellers, and other commercial models, Business Associate/Data Protection Agreements.
- Lead negotiations with customers and vendors, differentiating true requirements from negotiating tactics and competing interests.
- Promote, balance, and manage company and customer/vendor interests using a high degree of ingenuity to solve complex, contentious issues addressing business risks and compliance matters. Think innovatively to develop creative legal options and solutions, creatively solve even the most difficult customer issues, and exceed customer expectations.
- Develop legal templates, forms and information guides.
- Determine methods and procedures on new assignments and coordinate activities of other personnel (act as team lead).
- Partner on a day-to-day basis with the sales organization and other departments, including Revenue Recognition, to support transactions and help integrate legal considerations with business and technology activities.
- Assist in developing transaction-support processes and procedures for scaling legal and business processes.
- Deliver confident and articulate presentations to senior Legal management that influence thinking and drive effective decision making.
- Communicate with peers persuasively to gain cooperation for projects and initiatives within LEG.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Motivation, Innovation, Passion, Integrity, Teamwork, Customer-Focus.
You should also bring the following:
- J.D. from leading law school with 8+ years' combined experience at a reputable law firm and in-house legal department; applicable state bar credentials. Prior in-house experience is a must.
- Extensive experience with, and enthusiasm for, drafting and negotiating highly complex commercial contracts; software licensing experience is required.
- A practical, business-oriented approach to contracting, demonstrating sound business judgment and ability to differentiate between “must haves” and “nice to haves”.
- Exceptional attention to detail; superb organizational skills, verbal and written communication abilities, internal and external negotiation skills.
- Preferred experience includes substantial familiarity with Data Protection/Privacy issues and agreements, as well as experience with revenue recognition principles for software and working with revenue accounting departments. Experience negotiating government contracts is a plus.
- Ability to manage fast-paced workload and add value to multiple projects simultaneously.
- Self-starter who shows project ownership and enjoys working across departments.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills and judgment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Salesforce.