Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
The Industry and Solutions team in Corporate, External and Legal Affairs (CELA) has an opportunity for you to join a legal team in the role of Principal Corporate Counsel that prides itself on collaboration, learning, energy, and building relationships with partners and customers. Your primary responsibility will be supporting Microsoft's Global Partner Solutions (GPS) organization.? In this global role, you will work across business, engineering, finance, marketing and CELA teams around the world to enable strategic relationships with Microsoft's most important partners and guide business teams within GPS. You will provide legal guidance on existing and emerging commercial programs that deliver Microsoft technology and technical expertise to partners and customers at scale and contribute to Microsoft's strategy to drive partner and customer digital transformation, including AI and cloud, by enhancing their technical capabilities and driving greater utilization and satisfaction with Microsoft technology.
- Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree
- OR Completion of a Legal Apprenticeship.
- Active license to practice law in a jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction.
- 5+ years experience as a practicing attorney
- OR equivalent practice of law.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications:
- In-house counsel experience.
- Experience with cloud computing, AI, and other cutting-edge technologies and the related legal issues.
- Excellent negotiation and legal drafting skills
- Sound judgment that incorporates legal analysis, a pragmatic approach, and consideration of business goals, risk tolerance, and stakeholder priorities.
- Service-oriented and customer obsessed.
- Enthusiastic "team player" who enjoys partnering with cross-functional teams to solve complex issues, invest in others, and work collaboratively to generate consensus across diverse points of view.
- Comfort with ambiguity and with a bias for action in a fast-paced, highly matrixed environment.
- Agility and openness to adapting practice in response to evolving business strategies and transformation.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines in the face of competing priorities.
Legal Counsel IC4 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $124,800 - $222,000 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $159,000 - $238,600 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Legal Advice and Counsel:
- Support high-impact business groups in Global Partner, anticipating and addressing highly complex legal and business issues, and serving as a key strategic partner and advisor to business clients.
- Participate in complex technology transactions and develop negotiation strategies.
- Creatively solve problems and coordinate across CELA and business team subject matter experts.
- Utilize outside counsel effectively and guide escalations to appropriate senior leaders in order to take smart and well-informed risks to address partner needs.
- Stay informed of rules, regulations, and other statutory requirements relating to Microsoft business and advise business clients and CELA colleagues accordingly.
- Communicate in a manner that advances negotiations and projects, creates clarity, utilizes insights, and advances closure of open issues.
- Support the business teams in ensuring legal compliance and in providing solutions to mitigate risks.
- Model and evangelize inclusive behavior, ensuring that your ideas and the ideas of others are heard.
- Act with empathy in supporting teammates, CELA colleagues, and business clients.
- Embrace a global mindset, respecting similarities and differences in others.