Description:Guardant Health, Inc. is seeking an experienced and motivated Patent Counsel to join its Intellectual Property Team. As a member of the IP Team, you will be responsible for providing guidance on a variety of IP and general legal matters related to the cancer diagnostics field. You will combine your legal and technical knowledge to implement and execute the company's IP strategy for Guardant's growing patent portfolio. The technology you will be exposed to is critical to Guardant's mission to improving the lives of cancer patients. This role will report to a senior member on the IP Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with building and managing a global patent portfolio, including preparing and prosecuting patent applications, responding to office actions, identifying strategic areas for patenting, harvesting patentable inventions, and evaluating the patentability of invention submissions;
- Collaborate with other members of the IP Team to develop and advise on global patent and IP strategy;
- Oversee and coordinate with outside counsel as necessary with respect to IP protection;
- Perform infringement and validity analyses and evaluate risk mitigation strategies;
- Develop relationships with and educate scientists and other employees on patent-related matters;
- Partner with relevant stakeholders across the company to provide strategic IP counseling with respect to research and product development;
- Support litigation, Oppositions, PGRs, and IPRs;
- Assist with licensing, M&A, and other commercial transactions as needed.
- Juris Doctorate from a nationally accredited law school;
- Registration with the USPTO and a member of a state bar (California preferred);
- Advanced degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or similar field;
- 3+ years of relevant patent prosecution experience at a law firm or in-house position;
- Familiarity with next generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation methods and approaches for NGS data analysis, including statistics and machine learning approaches.
- Excellent communicator, project manager, and team player;
- Strong interpersonal skills and be willing to work closely with scientists, managers, and employee teams;
- Adaptable, flexible, and creative in a rapidly changing environment.