Description:Koch Companies Public Sector (KCPS), a subsidiary of Koch Industries, is seeking a highly-motivated, registered patent agent with excellent critical thinking skills and a contribution mindset to join our integrated IP Legal Capability as a Patent Agent or Senior Patent Agent supporting the diverse and global businesses of the Koch companies. This role has significant interaction with business, in-house IP counsel and R&D leadership in developing and maintaining Koch's patent portfolios for its evolving businesses.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate integrity, excellent written and verbal communication skills, have a track record of confidently leading the full life cycle of the patent process, embrace and drive transformation, and be a lifelong learner. The candidate will support various Koch companies in various locations, with the ability to interact in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment and develop strong relationships across the organization. A successful candidate will demonstrate an interest in understanding each of the supported Koch businesses and the markets in which they operate, partnering with various stakeholders to provide value-driven services and advance the integration and optimization of best practices in line with commercial objectives.
The position is located in Lisle, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; or Wichita, Kansas.
What You Will Do in Your Role:
- Assisting in-house counsel with strategically developing and managing company's global patent portfolios, including actively shaping portfolios consistent with shifting business objectives, considering third-party patent risks and competitive patent portfolios
- Actively preparing or managing preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications, working to help steer inventive activities and align patent assets with value creation
- Assisting with IP due diligence for M&A transactions
- Assisting on freedom-to-operate, patentability, inventorship, and post-issuance projects
- Providing litigation support
- Providing IP training
The Experience You Will Bring:
- Registration to practice before the USPTO
- Undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, computer science, physics, mechanical engineering, or equivalent degree
- 3+ years of experience in patent prosecution
What Will Put You Ahead:
- 5+ years of patent prosecution experience
- Previous in-house patent experience
- International patent prosecution experience
- Patent portfolio management and strategic counseling experience
- Supervising or mentoring experience
- Familiarity with IP software systems (e.g., First to File, Innography, Memotech)
Our goal is for each employee, and their families, to live fulfilling and healthy lives. We provide essential resources and support to build and maintain physical, financial, and emotional strength - focusing on overall wellbeing so you can focus on what matters most. Our benefits plan includes - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending and health savings accounts, life insurance, ADD, disability, retirement, paid vacation/time off, educational assistance, and may also include infertility assistance, paid parental leave and adoption assistance. Specific eligibility criteria is set by the applicable Summary Plan Description, policy or guideline and benefits may vary by geographic region. If you have questions on what benefits apply to you, please speak to your recruiter.