Description:Sphera is a leading global provider of enterprise software and services that enables companies to manage and optimize their environmental, health, safety and sustainability. Our mission is to create a safer, more sustainable and productive world.
Sphera is a portfolio company of Blackstone, a U.S.-based alternative asset investment company that focuses on private equity, technology and innovation, and more. Blackstone businesses succeed through strong partnerships, a personalized approach and a commitment to exceptional performance with uncompromising integrity. Sphera and Blackstone are leaders in the Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) space.
We are guided by our core values of Customer Centricity, Accountability, Bias to Action, Innovation, and Collaboration. These values help us recruit the right talent to join our rapidly expanding team around the globe. It is important to us that each and every Spherion is not only eager to challenge themselves and knows how to get work done but is an awesome addition to our company culture.
The Managing Counsel will play a key role in Sphera's continuing growth and success, by serving as a valued partner to executive management and company leaders in the Sales, Finance, HR, Product, Services and IT teams, and in establishing and maintaining strong and profitable client relationships. The Managing Counsel is a critical member of the company's legal team, supporting the General Counsel legal strategy and team development. The Managing Counsel will serve as a trusted legal advisor for operations and corporate functions both domestically and internationally.
- Partnering with the General Counsel to support the commercial needs of Sphera's fast-growing global operations, including developing and maintaining working knowledge of Sphera's business by building relationships with the relevant sales and other business team partners.
- Reviewing and preparing complex commercial agreements, including SaaS, professional services, consulting, vendor, data processing and affiliate agreements, as well as a wide variety of other types of contracts, with global and regional scope.
- Partnering with senior management and the General Counsel to align contract templates, positions, and processes with business strategy.
- Providing counsel and transactional support to leaders across business functions on a wide variety of legal matters, including employment law, intellectual property, compliance, corporate governance, M&A, data privacy and others.
- Advising internal clients on legal rights, obligations, and risks.
- Managing and coordinating outside counsel both domestically and internationally where appropriate.
- Assisting the General Counsel with team management and training, sales team collaboration and training and other legal operations and strategy matters.
- U.S. licensed attorney, admitted to practice and in good standing in one or more states in the United States, with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience (including experience working as in-house counsel).
- Substantial experience working with an internal sales organization on B2B contracts is required; experience in the software industry (including SaaS/cloud offerings) or at a technology company is highly desirable.
- International exposure is highly desirable.
- Strong negotiation skills and demonstrated ability to understand and clearly communicate complex legal issues to business teams and counterparties.
- Working knowledge of data privacy and security requirements is preferred.
- Experience handing intellectual property issues is preferred.
- Additional experience in other substantive legal areas is desirable but not required (e.g. employment law, corporate law, compliance, M&A)
- Experience working in a fast-paced/high-growth environment is preferred
- Confident, proactive and self-disciplined, with proven problem-solving skills and use of good judgment.
- A Team Player with a positive attitude; willing to engage in knowledge-sharing across legal team.
$158,000.00 - $243,000.00 + Eligible for Variable Compensation Plan
Commensurate with relevant qualifications and experience
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Flexible Working Schedule
Sphera is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.