Description:Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
What to Expect:
Tesla is looking for a Managing Counsel, Intellectual Property, based in our CA, TX or DC offices to support the growth of our ever expanding and evolving innovations on a worldwide basis. Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, Intellectual Property, you will focus on enabling freedom to operate initiatives to enable our talented engineering and business teams to pursue their compelling and creative ideas in our pursuit of transitioning the world to sustainable energy.
This is a great opportunity for a pro-active and entrepreneurial lawyer to work at a fast growing and dynamic company.
What You'll Do:
- Provide advice on a wide variety of intellectual property topics for the engineering and business teams, including assessment of particular patent or trademark assets and the implication on desired business outcomes.
- Research and assess patent and licensing demand requests in collaboration with the engineering, business and legal teams.
- Create playbooks and training materials to enable fellow legal team members as well as members of the engineering and business teams to address common IP concerns.
- Prepare and maintain applicable IP contract forms and/or clauses.
- Provide support and strategic guidance to technology curators inside the organization on making clever decisions regarding the company's patent portfolio.
- Review and assess questions or concerns related to open source software.
- Liaise with colleagues in APAC and EMEA to ensure consistency of strategy and risk allocation across the global business.
- What You'll Bring
- Excellent academic credentials, preferably with a J.D. from a top-ranked law school.
- A current licence to practice in one or more US jurisdictions.
- A minimum of 12 years' practice experience at a well-regarded law firm, with in-house experience at a company in the energy industry strongly preferred.
- Experience structuring and leading negotiation of intellectual property transactions in various technology areas ranging from physical goods to software licenses as well as exposure to prosecuting and enforcing various IP rights.
- A team player with the ability to proactively identify problems, drive projects, make complex cost/benefit assessments, and identify pragmatic/creative legal and business solutions.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively and to juggle competing priorities in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- A quick and flexible learner, intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to quickly earn the confidence of your colleagues and effectively communicate with people at all levels of the organization.
- High standards, impeccable integrity and ethics, unquestionable good judgment, well-honed analytical skills, superior oral and written communications skills, and a keen sense of humour.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$172,000 - $431,640/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice