Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
- Partner with our People and Products teams to provide day-to-day advice on a range of employment issues including recruiting, hiring, performance management, compensation and benefits, leaves of absence, internal investigations, working time, employee data privacy, and HR best practices.
- Draft and negotiate employment and People related agreements and compensation arrangements.
- Support mergers, acquisitions, financings, and other corporate transactions with counsel on executive compensation, benefits, equity, and employment tax matters.
- Proactively review employment policies to ensure legal compliance and consistency with best practices.
- Work with outside counsel on employment matters.
- Law degree (J.D.) from ABA-accredited institution
- Admission to at least one state bar in the United States
- Eligible to practice law in California.
- Must have a People-focused track record built on helping to provide a framework for a positive candidate and employee experiences.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of substantive employment law experience with a corporate legal department or law firm.
- AmLaw 100 law firm experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), including the ability to effectively relay complex information in a concise format.
- Practical business judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects.
- Proven track record of learning quickly, taking initiative, working proactively, being resourceful, and taking on additional responsibility.