Description:The Regulatory Legal Team in Capital One's Legal Department is seeking an experienced attorney to help facilitate access to credit in a Manager Counsel, Fair Lending role. The attorney in this position will work closely with a number of Capital One's credit and operations teams, Compliance, and across the Legal department. The attorney will provide legal guidance, to ensure compliance with both internal policies and procedures as well as fair lending/adverse action laws and regulations, and manage litigation and reputation risk.
The Manager Counsel, Fair Lending will serve as a legal counsel for matters related to adverse action disclosure requirements, and will advise on consumer credit fair lending matters to Capital One's Consumer Card, Retail Bank, and Auto Finance businesses and related support departments.
The successful candidate must have strong legal and analytical skills, an ability to navigate novel legal and business situations, and the flexibility to simultaneously manage a wide range of projects while working seamlessly with our business and legal partners.
- Serve as the enterprise-wide legal subject matter expert on laws, regulations, and guidance related to Regulation B and state adverse action disclosure requirements
- Advise Capital One's Consumer Card, Retail Bank, and Auto Finance businesses and related support departments on business initiatives related to fair lending and fair banking
- Support Fair and Responsible Banking Compliance in the strategic implementation of Capital One's fair lending compliance management program
- Provide fair lending legal counseling support to commercial credit lines of business, as needed
- Provide supplemental legal counseling support on team matters related to limited English proficiency, physical and digital accessibility, powers of attorney, conservatorships, and guardianship, as needed
- Assist in the legal review of marketing materials and other communications for compliance with all consumer regulatory laws and internal marketing policies and controls, as needed
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- At least 3 years of experience as an attorney in a law firm, an attorney within an in-house legal department, or government experience in an attorney role
- At least 3 years of Financial services industry knowledge and expertise, including experience with regulatory requirements relating to business credit products and services
- 4+ years of experience as an attorney working on consumer regulatory matters
- A thorough knowledge of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, the Fair Housing Act, and other accompanying regulatory lending laws and regulations
- Ability to build collegial and effective relationships with business clients, attorneys, project managers, and corporate compliance professionals
- Ability to prioritize and manage a significant volume of legal questions on a broad array of topics with multiple and simultaneous deadlines
- Ability to rapidly synthesize new information and make quick, well-grounded decisions
- Strong oral communication skills with the ability to influence others
- Strong legal writing skills, including experience drafting comment letters or other regulatory advocacy documents
- Spanish language proficiency
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at theCapital One Careers website. Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).