Closing Date: 9th June, 2023
Description:Mack Trucks & Volvo Trucks North America (collectively, GTNA) are looking for a Legal Counsel to support the operations/logistics truck division Group Trucks Operations (GTO) and the research and development/technology truck division Group Trucks Technology (GTT). Both GTO and GTT have a global footprint with sites worldwide and your main focus will be the US activities.
Are you a team player that wants to contribute to the bigger picture? Are you interested in proactively and independently driving the legal agenda for GTO and GTT in the US? Are you passionate about driving change and continuous improvements? If so, you might be the right person for the job.
The Legal Counsel will support many critical aspects of our operations and will be responsible for ensuring effective, qualitative, efficient and proactive legal support of our business objectives, while minimizing reputational risk and exposure related to legal matters. In this role, you will report to the SVP, General Counsel and Secretary of GTNA, and will have a very close connection to the GTO and GTT Legal & Compliance teams including having regular update meetings also with the General Counsels/SVPs Legal & Compliance for GTT and GTO, located in Sweden, while being part of the VTNA team.
This Is How You Could Make an Impact:
In this role, you will provide legal advice within a wide range of legal and compliance areas and work in close cooperation with the different GTO and GTT functions. Your responsibilities will include:
- Actively identifying and proactively mitigating legal and compliance risks and opportunities for GTO and GTT in the US.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts and other agreements relating to the Volvo Group's, purchase of logistics services, customs and trade positions, emerging technologies and investments, electromobility positions, intellectual property, and special projects .
- Overseeing litigation, dispute resolution and disagreements with suppliers and other entities
- Managing legal interests relating to public projects, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), export control, emerging technologies, and electromobility and battery technologies.
- Working with the Volvo Group's innovation lab, CampX, strategic collaborators, and internal cross-functional teams
- Drafting and negotiating various types of research and development agreements including partnership agreements, technology license agreements, and providing legal support with respect to privacy, IPR, open source, security, software and data matters.
- Being responsible for legal issues relating to trade, customs and export control, OSHA, and environmental matters
- Administering the Volvo Group's compliance program by providing training, advice and investigation support relating to the code of conduct, competition law, anti-corruption laws, export control, data privacy, whistleblowing and investigations, and document retention policies.
- Immersing yourself in the business and spreading awareness of legal topics to become a trusted and known partner that provides effective proactive legal advice to GTO and GTT colleagues in support of business goals and strategies.
- Taking ownership of special projects and performing other related duties as assigned.
To be the perfect match for this role, your critical competencies will include:
- Ability to effectively communicate legal issues verbally and in writing in a clear, easy and understandable manner; strong interpersonal skills.
- Possess superior legal and analytical skills with excellent judgment.
- Be able to think strategically with a deep understanding of multiple functional areas.
- Be able too provide clear solutions to abstract and/or complex problems and thus be a solution provider.
- Ability to work cross-functionally and collaboratively in a business team and legal team.
- Be highly motivated and passionate about adding value to all business activities.
- Possess strong negotiation skills and a firm grasp of the cost-effectiveness of settlements in appropriate cases.
- Be adept at computerized legal research, and in working with various IT applications.
- Possess strong business acumen.
- Be professional and act with high integrity.
- Ability to adapt to and become proficient in a variety of substantive legal areas.
Who Are You?
- You will hold a Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school is required.
- You must be a state licensed attorney in the United States and in good standing.
- Additionally, you will have at least 7 years relevant experience from working in a legal role at a law firm and/or in-house with a broad array of responsibilities, ideally with experiences in the transportation industry.
- Work in Greensboro, North Carolina
- Be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally
We believe in the importance of diversity and inclusiveness to make us a stronger and better organization. The motivation and passion to support our customers set us apart from others that want to be like us. Our company culture is how we interact with each other, with our customers and society as a whole. It is the foundation on which everything else is built. We embrace new ideas and constantly challenge the status quo – innovation is driven by a willingness to change to stay ahead and find smart ways to create new solutions.
This job offers you the opportunity to join Volvo Group. Every day, across the globe, our trucks, buses, engines, construction equipment, financial services, and solutions make modern life possible. We are almost 100,000 people empowered to shape the future landscape of efficient, safe and sustainable transport solutions. Fulfilling our mission creates countless career opportunities for talents with sharp minds and passion across the group's leading brands and entities.
Founded in 1900, Mack Trucks is an iconic brand that embodies the American spirit: pioneering, hard-working, authentic and ambitious. Mack trucks are recognized around the world as “The American Truck You Can Count On,” thanks to our durable, reliable and application-driven vehicles that get the job done.
Volvo Trucks, founded in Sweden in the late 1920s, is a brand centered around innovating for people – to make life easier, better, and safer. We are determined to lead the way towards a sustainable transport industry, in which we are equally determined for our customers to be successful and stay in the forefront.
By joining our North American Group Truck brands (Volvo & Mack), you will be part of a global and diverse team, where we work with passion, we trust each other, and we embrace change to stay ahead. By working together, we can provide innovative solutions that add value over time and help us create the world we want to live in.