About Hess Corporation
Hess is a leading international independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
We have an industry leading position in the Bakken in North Dakota – a key U.S. shale play. Hess is also one of the largest producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and a key natural gas producer and supplier to Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand. The company is engaged in exploration and appraisal activities offshore Guyana, participating in one of the industry’s largest oil discoveries in the past decade, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, Suriname and Nova Scotia.
Hess aims to attract, retain and energize the best people by investing in their professional development and providing them with challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal growth. We are always looking for talented professionals who share our values and are passionate about making a difference in the world and in their careers. We strive to meet the highest standards of corporate citizenship by protecting the health and safety of our employees, safeguarding the environment and creating a long-lasting, positive impact on the communities where we do business.
For more information about Hess Corporation, please visit our website at Hess.com.
The Legal Counsel will have responsibility for providing legal support to Hess, its subsidiaries, and related business units, subject to supervision from senior attorneys. The Legal Counsel will also partner with other attorneys across the legal department on various matters and projects within the legal department. The Legal Counsel must be self-directed, accountable, and comfortable working on a team. The Legal Counsel must be able to think critically, identify issues that need to be elevated for input, and exercise sound legal judgment. The volume and nature of the particular assignments will vary according to legal department needs and Counsel’s abilities, experience, and developmental needs.
Roles & Responsibilities
Provide legal support as follows:
- Provide advice in negotiating and drafting various upstream agreements, including leases and assignments, purchase and sale agreements, joint operating agreements, farm-out agreements, accounting procedures, rights of way and easements, exploration and development agreements, areas of mutual interest, and preferential rights to purchase, among others;
- Independently identify legal issues that the business unit should consider when evaluating royalty and revenue interests, audits and accountings, oilfield services, secured and unsecured liens, and shale and non-conventional development;
- Provide advice in negotiating and drafting various midstream agreements, including gathering agreements, processing agreements, terminaling agreements, among others, as well as partnering with other attorneys in the Legal Department on commercial transactions related to special projects, joint ventures, and acquisitions in support of Hess’s growing midstream footprint;
- Understand the Upstream and Midstream business units and structure to identify cross-business issues, and work collaboratively in a team to develop solutions/recommendations;
- Partner with external counsel as appropriate to provide advice to the upstream and midstream business units with respect to regulatory compliance, including environmental, FERC, and PHMSA matters;
- Partner with other attorneys in the legal department regarding transactional matters, leasing and land issues, and business governance matters;
- In conjunction with the business unit, gather and analyze relevant information to develop action plans;
- Apply knowledge, past practices, and experiences to complex legal problems that impact the business unit, and develop and present recommendations to the business for resolving these problems; and other duties as assigned.
Experience and Skills
The Legal Counsel candidate must demonstrate the following:
- Excellent organizational skills with superior attention to detail;
- An ability to maintain accountability while managing simultaneous tasks and deadlines;
- A desire to work in a team setting;
- Experience with negotiating and drafting upstream and midstream oil and gas agreements; and
- A general understanding of the upstream and/or midstream oil and gas industry.
Education, Training & Certifications
- J.D. Degree or equivalent and active license to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction, preferably Texas;
- 5+ years of professional level work experience in a Corporate Law Department and/or Law Firm.
Leading at Hess refers to competencies considered absolute pre-requisites for success. How you deliver results is as important as what you achieve. Every employee is expected to demonstrate the behaviors within the following competencies to be considered an effective performer and, ultimately, earn career growth opportunities:
- Builds Trusted Relationships;
- Develops Talent;
- Creates Effective Teams;
- Thinks Strategically;
- Inspires Innovation;
- Demonstrates Courage;
- Drives Continuous Improvement;
- Makes Quality Decisions; and
- Delivers High Performance.
Hess is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Hess is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, click here or send an email to MyHR@Hess.com.