You're an original. So are we.
We're a company of people who like to forge our own path. We invented the blue jean in 1873, and we reinvented khaki pants in 1986. We pioneered labor and environmental guidelines in manufacturing. And we work to build sustainability into everything we do. Our brands stand for freedom and self-expression around the world.
Where we lead, others follow. For more than 160 years, we've used the strength of our brands to lead with our values and make an outsized impact on the world. We employ more than 15,000 people globally to support our great brands: Levi's®, Dockers®, Denizen®, Signature by Levi Strauss & Co.™ and Beyond Yoga.
We are looking for a lawyer with transactional and litigation experience to support our growing commercial organization. The Legal Counsel, Commercial Transactions and Litigation will support the business by advising on, reviewing, and negotiating different commercial and technology projects and transactions. You will provide daily legal and business counseling, identify opportunities for process improvements and advise on the resolution of legal issues that arise in existing commercial relationships. You will also have daily responsibility for commercial litigation matters that arise in the U.S. and Canada. On balance, we estimate the attorney will typically spend 80-90% of time on transactions and 10-20% time on litigation, though this could fluctuate. Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, U.S. & Canada, you will support the U.S. and Canada business but will also participate in global initiatives from time to time. This is a hybrid role, based in San Francisco but exceptional remote candidates will be considered.
About the Job:
- Review, interpret, draft, revise, and negotiate commercial contracts, with a focus on inbound commercial and technology contracts, including master services agreements, SaaS and software agreements, reseller agreements, consulting and services agreements, data processing agreements, and statements of work; you will also support many other types of commercial contracts from time to time, including licensing, franchising, and sales agreements
- Advise and provide legal recommendations to multiple internal departments, including Global Procurement, E-commerce, Retail, Franchise, Data Security, Technology, HR, Sustainability, Supply Chain, Logistics, Marketplace Insights, and Facilities
- Respond to legal and contract requests from several internal departments, and advise on agreement structures, approval processes, company procedures
- Help create standard form agreements and plans to address a variety of situations
- Help develop policies, procedures, and training materials in collaboration with other members of the Legal team
- Help develop contract governance protocols and procedures
- Respond to and resolve commercial litigation matters and other disputes, ensuring that claims are addressed promptly, the use and selection of outside counsel is efficient, the risks of various litigation strategies are identified, and positive results are achieved
- Proactively identify litigation risks and work across business teams to mitigate these risks, including overseeing consumer dispute process and resolution
- Ensure that appropriate litigation and dispute tracking and resolution processes are implemented and evolving to meet team and corporate needs
- Escalate matters and ensure compliance with company policies and risk tolerance
- Collaborate and coordinate cross-functionally with global and legal subject matter leads
- JD and membership in a state bar
- A minimum of 7 years of legal experience (both litigation and transactional)
- Experience at a leading law firm and/or in-house preferably within a consumer-facing industry
- Experience with SaaS or e-commerce related agreements
- Experience in commercial litigation/discovery/motions practice
- Working knowledge of data privacy laws and regulations
- Enthusiastic, proactive, and enjoys being challenged
- Demonstrates sound judgment even in ambiguous situations
- Superior interpersonal, communication and influencing skills with the ability
- Ability to work well with and advise peers, different levels of management, and external resources
- Able to deal with a high-volume workload changing priorities, and rapid cycles
- Self-Starter who is able to anticipate potential problems and develop mitigation strategies in advance
- Willingness to work on a broad variety of legal matters
The expected starting salary range for this role is $113,000- $174,500. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range based on the location of the role. The amount a particular employee will earn within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, experience, skills, performance and business needs.
Levi Strauss & Co. (LS&Co.) offers a total rewards package that includes competitive pay, incentive plans, and a wide array of benefits designed to help you and your family stay healthy, meet your financial goals, and balance the demands of your work and personal life. Available benefits vary depending upon the specifics of the role; details relating to a specific role will be made available upon request.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, benefits or other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company's sole discretion, consistent with the law.
We put a lot of thought into our programs to provide you with a benefits package that matters. Whether it is for medical care, taking time off, improving your health or planning for retirement, we've got you covered. Here's a small snapshot:
- 401K match: $1.25 for every $1.00 you contribute up to the first 6% of pay you save.
- Five hours of paid volunteer time per month with nonprofit organizations
- Product discount of 60% off regular-price merchandise
- Paid Family Leave