Closing Date: 15th January, 2024
Description:Dorsey & Whitney LLP is seeking first-year law students who have strong interpersonal skills; ambition; and diverse perspectives, experiences and interests to participate in the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) 1L Scholars Program! This student will participate in our carefully crafted 2024 summer associate program in Salt Lake City.
During the summer program, you will:
- Work on challenging client matters, obtaining substantive work opportunities and working closely with our attorneys in one or more of the following areas: Corporate, Finance & Restructuring, Patent, Regulatory Affairs, Trademark, and Trial;
- Hone your legal writing skills;
- Choose from a variety of pro bono matters on which to work;
- Have the opportunity to attend client meetings, depositions, closings, and court appearances;
- Receive formal feedback and mentoring;
- Participate in numerous seminars and training events hosted by Dorsey U, our in-house professional development group; and
- Establish meaningful relationships with your summer associate colleagues and Dorsey attorneys through professional opportunities, networking, and a variety of social events.
Are you looking for a law firm where you can develop your legal skills and continue to learn and grow throughout your career as an attorney? If so, we strongly encourage you to apply for a summer associate position.
All law students who attend an ABA-accredited school are eligible to apply, subject to the class year requirement as noted above. Successful applicants will have a demonstrated record of academic achievement and a commitment to promoting diversity in the legal community. Click here for more information about the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity and the 1L Scholars Program (https://www.lcldnet.org/programs/1l-scholars/).
How to Apply:
Dorsey & Whitney LLP accepts online applications at http://www.dorsey.com/careers/law-students. We do not accept application materials by mail or email except as a reasonable accommodation for qualified disabled applicants. Dorsey is committed to providing disability and religious-based reasonable accommodations. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and hiring process, or if you have questions about a workplace reasonable accommodation, please contact us at 612-492-5121.
We will begin accepting applications on November 20, 2023 and we will review candidate materials on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. Students are encouraged to apply no later than 11:59pm CT on January 15, 2024.
The following application materials are required to be considered for this position:
- A cover letter that includes a personal statement addressing what diversity means to you and why you are interested in Dorsey
- Writing sample
- Undergraduate transcript (unofficial)
- Law school transcript (unofficial)*
*If all of your law school grades are not available when you apply, please submit your first semester course list along with all other application materials and indicate in your cover letter when we can expect to receive your transcript. When grades become available, email your unofficial transcript to email@example.com.
The pay for this position is $3,170 per week in Utah. This temporary position is not benefits eligible.
Dorsey values the strength that comes from a diverse and inclusive work environment. It contributes to the success of our people and our clients and enriches our experience. We believe that everyone should feel at home and part of our community. One of our greatest strengths is a friendly, cooperative culture that values and appreciates each individual. Dorsey has received external recognition for our welcoming workplace, including:
- Mansfield Rule Plus Certification (Diversity Lab)
- Best Law Firms for Women (National Association of Female Executives and Flex-Time Lawyers)
- 100% rating on the Corporate Equality Index (Human Rights Campaign)
- Gold Standard Certification (Women in Law Empowerment Forum)
- Top 100 Adoption-Friendly Workplace (Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption)
Dorsey & Whitney LLP is an EEO/AAP/Disabled Vets Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, affectional preference, disability, age, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, military or veteran status, or any other legally-protected status.
Dorsey participates in E-Verify.