Description:Who is Waterton?
We are passionate about delivering an incredible Resident Experience, which we believe is made possible by offering an extraordinary experience for our talented associates. We value performance that delivers experiences that exceed expectations, coupled with an unwavering commitment to Investor and Resident service excellence. With over 27 years of investment and property management experience, we strive to exemplify what we call Resitality®.
We are looking for a talented Law Clerk Intern to join our team!
Waterton's Legal Department seeks a 1L or 2L intern for a part time spring internship and transition to a full time summer internship. This position will report to attorneys in the Chicago office. Waterton is a real estate investment and property management company with a focus on U.S. multifamily, senior living, and hospitality properties.
Under the supervision of the Legal Department attorneys, you will support and gain exposure to general legal matters, risk management and compliance, litigation, advisory services, and transactions. As detailed below, you will take on responsibilities which include, but are not limited to: legal research and writing, interpretation and application of laws and regulations, and reviewing, evaluating and editing contracts and other legal documents related to property management, real estate transactions, or real estate advisory services.
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Conduct legal research on matters related to investments and operations, including contract and landlord/tenant law
- Draft legal responses and policies and procedures as required
- Review investment and other documents and create matrices to assist in streamlining legal processes and procedures
- Assist with closings on asset acquisitions and dispositions
- Review vendor contracts for corporate operations and occasionally for community operations
- Assist in responding to discovery requests in pending litigation and liability claims
- Work with attorneys and paralegals to assist in matters as they arise
- First Year or Second Year law student
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Excellent writing skills as demonstrated in Legal Research & Writing classes, Law Review or other journal experience, or moot court membership
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Preference for candidates who can work 15-20 hours per week during the school year and transition to 40 hours per week during the summer
- Combination of office and remote work schedule