THIS IS A NON-CIVIL SERVICE POSITION
The Circuit Court for Baltimore City seeks a law clerk to assist the Magistrates of the Family Division, Juvenile Court for the 2022-2023 term.
Essential Functions Of The Position:
- Researches law by studying laws, statutes, constitutions, regulations, and court opinions, including precedents and reasoning; researches trends using standard print texts and computers; proofreads legal memoranda.
- Supports magistrates by assembling and organizing information for legal documents, researching law, and assembling case materials.
- Verifies citations.
- Communicates with counsel regarding case management and procedural requirements. • Assists magistrates during courtroom proceedings, including preparing the courtroom with necessary supplies such as exhibit stickers, forms used in delinquency proceedings, forms used in CINA proceedings, etc.
- Prepares and submits referrals to Juvenile Court Medical Services, Alternative Dispute Resolution Program, LINKS, JCEIP, Parent Locator and others, and follows up with recipients of those referrals to ensure timely, meaningful action results.
- Monitors exceptions to judges from magistrate recommendations and provides feedback to magistrates regarding the results of those exceptions.
- Assembles case materials by collecting, organizing, and summarizing information, documents, reports, and evidence.
- Prepares for trial by summarizing trial briefs and motions and prepares exhibits, subpoenas, and evidence.
- Drafts correspondence as requested.
- Maintains calendar by entering and updating requirements, court dates, and meetings.
- Protects the integrity of juvenile court proceedings by keeping client information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in continuing educational opportunities, reading legal publications, and maintaining personal networks.
- Enhances the integrity of the juvenile court by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; explores opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Confidentiality, Client Contact Skills, Legal Administration Skills, Legal Compliance, Litigation, Administrative Writing Skills, Documentation Skills, Word Processing, Scheduling, Verbal Communication.
Education and Experience Requirements: Qualified candidates must have earned a Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and must be admitted to the Maryland Bar.
Compensation: This is a one-year, full-time permanent position with benefits. The annual salary is $43,503.
How to Apply:
THIS POSITION WILL BE OPEN UNTIL FILLED Please forward your cover letter, resume, unofficial school transcript, writing sample, and a list of three references to:
Ms. Jacqueline Hale Human Resources
Department Circuit Court for Baltimore City
111 N. Calvert Street, Room 244
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
www.baltimorecity.gov TTY 396-4930
**No Phone Calls Please**
A Criminal Background Check will be conducted as a condition of employment.