Description:The IP Attorney serves as an integral member of a technology center, providing IP legal services and advice in support of technology development. The successful candidate will have strong experience in patent drafting and prosecution, overall intellectual property protection, technology related agreements, intellectual property analysis, and providing guidance to technical persons and business management regarding intellectual property. The right candidate will enjoy learning about developing technologies in a dynamic environment and will be able to perform independently. The right candidate will be a self-starter with a team attitude and be able to anticipate IP needs and partner with engineering to secure a competitive advantage and protect disruptive technologies.
He/She reports to a Managing IP Counsel.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for an Intellectual Property docket with an emphasis on new technology development
- Prepares and prosecutes patent applications for patent portfolio, including managing foreign filings
- Drafts and negotiates development agreements, confidentiality agreements, collaboration agreements, and consulting agreements
- Provides IP review and analysis through all phases of project development
- Partners with developers to secure invention disclosures
- Conducts intellectual property training, advises management on IP legal issues and Company policies
- Supports IP counsel in enforcement matters involving the technology center
- Interacts and collaborates with IP professionals in other locations
- Monitors and landscapes intellectual property activity in relevant technology areas
- Participates in the Legal Department training and development initiatives
Qualifications and Experience:
- Law degree (JD or equivalent) and member of good standing in state Bar
- Registration to practice before the USPTO
- University technical degree required, preferably in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, material science, or physics
- Preference is for a candidate with 2-5 years of experience after law school, working primarily with patent prosecution, patent law, and technology-related agreements.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple simultaneous projects effectively
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US without sponsorship
- Experience working for or representing a multinational company preferred
- Previous experience working with oil and gas technology preferred
SLB is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, or other characteristics protected by law. We are an “Equal Opportunity Employer".
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation / modification to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability to assist in the hiring process, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local law. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in the interview process, please contact email@example.com to request assistance. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to.
We are committed to a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments, please visit our Diversity & Inclusion | SLB (slb.com) for more information.
SLB is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor- priority referral Protected Veterans requested.